gs1100 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100 head

I came across a gs1100 4 valve head off a low mileage street bike for only $150.00Somebody took it and bead blasted the entire thing. I mean rocker arms and everything. I think the only thing they took out was the cams. It looks like someone ported the exhaust side, but never touched the intake side. There is no helicoiling and the rest of the head looks great. I want a head i can send out for porting and all that good stuff for a dragbike. I would probably go to hard welded rockers, stainless valves, and bigger cams. Does anyone think what was done to the head ruined it. Another question. I'm new to the gs world. It is a 4 valve head so it seems it must have come from an 80-83 ish. Am I right. Is there any difference in the 4 valve heads. Is one year better than another.

Thanks,

Were the cam journals also beadblasted?

bill

Comment

The newer heads have more bolt holes to hold down the cam covers. This prevents leaks. Aparently my 81 was the last year of the leakers.

Steve

Comment

The cam specs were slightly different from the "80 to the "83", sorry, I don't have the #'s. Also, before you buy stainless steel valves, I think that stainless steel valves were standard on the GS 1100 4 valve heads.

Comment

Yes they bead blasted the cam journals too. Is there a cam bearing that goes between the jounals and the cams or do they ride in the journal without a bearing.

Comment

OOOPPPSS!! unless the 16 valve engine is differant from the 8 valve engines, no, the cams dont have separate bearing inserts, the cams spin directly in the heads, the aluminum of the head is the bearing surface. this is common even with small car engines.
            bead blasting them would be very bad. (sorry)

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
              OOOPPPSS!! unless the 16 valve engine is differant from the 8 valve engines, no, the cams dont have separate bearing inserts, the cams spin directly in the heads, the aluminum of the head is the bearing surface. this is common even with small car engines.
              bead blasting them would be very bad. (sorry)
              The 16 valve doesn't have inserts either.
              Don't know if it could be reamed oversized or not, or if anyone makes a cam with oversized journals??

Comment

the head is junk now it would cost more to fix it than to get another head you have to weld up the cam jurnols and re line bore them you should be able a good used head for around $250.oo on dragbike.com
                I hope you can get you money back

Comment

I didn't get it. I was gonna, but I think i've changed my mind. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                  X