Question about coils and plug caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about coils and plug caps

One of the spark plug wires on my 1979 GS 1000 has a busted cap. While I know I could just replace the cap, I want to replace all the wires and caps. Preferably with red or yellow wires. The bike has what I think are stock coils, the question is:

Can I replace just the wires and caps or do I have to replace the coils as well?

Stock coils and wires are all one piece and sold as such. It is possible I understand to "dig out the wires" and put in new ones but stock wires and coils are designed as one piece.

Comment

Hi Rake, I think I remember someone here replaced just the wires by pulling the old ones out of the coils, they're glued in. Kind of a risky operation I think. Z1 Enterprizes has the Dyna wires for $16 a set. Don't order two sets of two, like I did, you only need one. BTW have the bolts arrived yet? Ray
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Rake yes you can just pull the old wires out and replace them, you did need to dig the old glue/sealant out,you cannot use 8.8mm wires, you must use a solid core wire 6mm in fact.
        Dink

Comment

Your bike needs new coils Do yourself a favor & buy some dyna 3 ohm coils & you can use any wires you want Just remember if you use the suppression wire You do NOT use the suzuki/NGK caps just standard auto ends. If you still have points you can add a 2ohm balast resistor

Comment

No bolts yet. But I hope to see them early next week.

Thanks to all for the response, I think I'll just get all new coils. Im not terribly good at "fixing" things if they do go wrong in digging out the old wires.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              Your bike needs new coils Do yourself a favor & buy some dyna 3 ohm coils & you can use any wires you want Just remember if you use the suppression wire You do NOT use the suzuki/NGK caps just standard auto ends. If you still have points you can add a 2ohm balast resistor
              For $100 USD, I would suggest that you get those Dyna coils, too. I replaced my coils this winter as they were starting to fail intermittently with much rough running. The bike is running smoother than ever. I wouldn't waste five minutes fooling with the old coils unless your bike is a rusty beater that doesn't deserve the investment.

Comment

Hell even if it WAS a rusty beater it would still deserve new coils! lol

Comment

Working...
                X