Voltage Drop at Coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltage Drop at Coils?

Thanks to the help of you all here I have gotten my GS1000 back to running status (honed cylinders, rebuilt head, etc.). I had really weak spark when everything went back together so I went ahead and purchased a DYNA-S, Dyna 3Ohm coils, and Dyna wires. I installed them and it seems marginally better but it still sounds like its running rough and missing alot. I checked the ignition system and it turns out the colis are getting a little more than 8V, thats a whole lot of voltage drop and it has to be a problem right? I do have a full 12V+ at the battery. I would suspect the old wireing but I have checked the voltage at point C (12V to the DYNA-S) on my wireing diagram below and it is a full 12V, how can there be a 4V drop in 2 inches of wire? Or could it be the ground on the coils? What am I missing?

I also have a question about the timing... I dont have a continuity light so I set it using my multimeter and the following procedure.

1. Align the full advance mark (2nd mark to the left of TDC) for 1-4 w/ the timing mark
    2. W/ multimeter leeds connected to battery ground and the black wire post on the 1-4 coil, rotate the magnet sleeve to the full advance position.
    3. Adjust mounting plate so that the 1-4 coil is triggered when the sleeve reaches the full advance position (multimeter shows a jump from 1v-11v when triggered).
    4. Repeat steps with the 2-3 coil.

This makes sense to me but I want to make sure this is how it should be, I need an extra set of hands to use the method DYNA has writen in their instructions. Thanks again for all of your help.

One corroded connector or one inch of corroded wire will easily drop four volts.
    Dink

Comment

Check the orange/white ?? wire that feeds the fuse block should be at battery voltage another problem may be the ign switch itself - CHeck & make sure you have 12 0n both sides of the switch. If their is a problem ??? Consider running a relay use the orange/ wire to turn the relay on & run the 12V from the battery to the relay To the fuse block. Check your headlight It may have a low voltage too.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2006, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Battery power runs through the main fuse up to the key ignition switch then back down to the fuse box through the ignition fuse then back up to the kill switch on the handlebars then back down to the coils. If you have a bad connection at the Key ignition switch, fuse box, or kill switch that will cause a voltage drop.

I'd disconnect the wires to each coil then take another voltage reading. One lead on the hot wire to the coil and the other on the engine.
        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

TEMPORARILY run a wire from the + of the battery to the coils and try it. BTW you should have 13.2 - 14.4 volts when the engine is running above 2000 rpm.
          Maybe your RR has gone south? Not an unusual problem for a GS.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Voltage drop could be a bad ground for the coils. check that 1st. It can also be corrosion on switch contacts between the battery and the coils. A nice easy fix is to add a cheap relay (I used a $3 horn relay from NAPA) between the battery and the coils. Use the old low voltage wire to the coils to energize the relay. this keeps all the old interlocks operational. Run a wire from the battery to the relay contact, then other side of relay contact to coil. Good idea to put an in line fuse where you hook to battery. Have also seen people hook power take off lead to downstream side of main electrical fuse. either way you are bypassing all the contacts in the original circuit. A drop of 2 volts can cause problems, only 8 volts at the coils is guaranteed to be a problem.

Comment

OK, I have poked around and I've found that I have a full 12v all the way to the ring terminals on the orange wires. Thats where they conect via a screw to the DYNA coils. Now when I connect the ring terminals to the coils it goes back to 8v when I take a reading from the head of the screw. There is nothing between the various mating surfaces, the ring terminal and screw are in direct contact??? I have no idea whats going on with this. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

If you have 12v on the orange/white wires when they are not connected to the coils and voltage on the wires drops to 8 volts when they are connected, then your battery is most likely ready for the trash can. a good battery should not drop 4 volts instantly like that. I will assume you are making no changes when checking voltage. Meaning, you cannot compare everything off on the bike, checking battery voltage then and turning the ignition on, headlight on, tail light on and checking voltage at the battery and expecting it to be the same. Remove all your fuses except for the ignition and compare voltages. If your battery truly is fully charged, a voltmeter should show about 13 volts at the battery terminals with the ignition switch off. I think though that a 4 volt drop in any case is a problem that must be addressed.
                I would put the battery on a charger until it reaches a minimum of 13 volts and let the battery sit 24 hours. If it drops below about 12.8-12.9v, I would consider it toast.

Earl

Originally posted by Mgriz
                OK, I have poked around and I've found that I have a full 12v all the way to the ring terminals on the orange wires. Thats where they conect via a screw to the DYNA coils. Now when I connect the ring terminals to the coils it goes back to 8v when I take a reading from the head of the screw. There is nothing between the various mating surfaces, the ring terminal and screw are in direct contact??? I have no idea whats going on with this. Thanks again for your help.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The correct way to do a voltage drop test on a circuit is with the circuit energized. Heres how...Connect the red lead of your voltmeter to the battery + terminal. Connect the other lead to the B+ feed at the coil (with it connected to the coil). Now turn on the ignition and read the voltage on the meter. This is your voltage drop through the ignition circuit..........Poor connections (voltage drops) are best tested with a live circuit.....BadBillyB

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    If you have 12v on the orange/white wires when they are not connected to the coils and voltage on the wires drops to 8 volts when they are connected, then your battery is most likely ready for the trash can. a good battery should not drop 4 volts instantly like that. I will assume you are making no changes when checking voltage. Meaning, you cannot compare everything off on the bike, checking battery voltage then and turning the ignition on, headlight on, tail light on and checking voltage at the battery and expecting it to be the same. Remove all your fuses except for the ignition and compare voltages. If your battery truly is fully charged, a voltmeter should show about 13 volts at the battery terminals with the ignition switch off. I think though that a 4 volt drop in any case is a problem that must be addressed.
                    I would put the battery on a charger until it reaches a minimum of 13 volts and let the battery sit 24 hours. If it drops below about 12.8-12.9v, I would consider it toast.

Earl

Yes I am getting these readings with all else constant, everything off w/ the key turned to on and the kill switch in the run position.

I have done a little more troubleshooting, I get a 4v drop only when both coils are plugged in. If I unhook one of them I would get 12v at the coil that was hooked up. I couldn't figure out why this was happeneing so I decided to do the bypass/relay method some of you have recommended. All I need now is a relay, hopefully that will fix things...

But as you mentioned it could very well be the battery, which would stink b/c it is basically brand new. I bought it 4 months ago but the bike has been in various stages of repair since then and it has not had much use. II did fully charge it a couple days ago but ts on the charger now, we'll see how healthy it is. Thanks again.

Comment

Are you saying you get no voltage drop with either coil if you check one coil at a time, but get 4 volts drop if both coils are connected?

Earl

[QUOTE=Mgriz]

I have done a little more troubleshooting, I get a 4v drop only when both coils are plugged in. If I unhook one of them I would get 12v at the coil that was hooked up. I couldn't figure out why this was happeneing so I decided to do the bypass/relay method some of you have recommended. All I need now is a relay, hopefully that will fix things...
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Did you do the voltage drop test/method exactly as I described ?? If you did, what were the results???........BadBillyB

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                          Are you saying you get no voltage drop with either coil if you check one coil at a time, but get 4 volts drop if both coils are connected?

Earl
                          Thats correct.

Billy, no I have not gone out and used your method. I have been grounding the negtaive terminal of my multimeter and atatching the pos terminal to the point where I want the reading, then turning on the ignition. I'll give your method a shot tomorrow. Thanks again.

Comment

Where are you placing the neg lead when testing for 12 volts.

Comment

I just went out and tested my 2.2 coils and with a digital meter and the voltage would jump to 13.5 and then start to fall off too below 9 volts in a few seconds. Red lead on coil pos and neg lead grounded to the frame. Of course I'm using a msd MC2 box with the Dyna S ignition. Now if I remove the lead and wait a few seconds the voltage will go back up to 13 volts. Come to think of it it might just be a multimeter problem. Darn Murphy's at it again.

I'd say the coils are just being saturated since they are just like an inductor (load) waiting for the field to collapse.

So by my meter I'd say your ok, check your timing and move on to the carbs. You could always get a MSD box and really blast your coils. I'm wondering what the voltage would be if the engine was running, I'm to chicken to find out.
                              Last edited by RacingJake; 03-27-2006, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X