Trouble starting.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble starting.....

Hey Guys, Recently picked up a 80 gs850g.... Here's the quick down low: Bike stored over winter, with stabilizer. Electrics don't seem to be ok, stator was replaced 1 1/2 ago. Charged battery, read 13.5 v. I hooked it up and cranked it. It didn't crank very fast and battery may be shot(3yrs old.) The choke cable is frozen in the open position. I oiled it, but still seized.

I managed to get the bike running by jumping it with a car battery. It ran ok, but would eventually die. Started again and took a quick reading at the battery and it was 10.4 v. Took a reading at the cables and it was about the same. The bike would not go over 3k rpm, it sputtered and backfired. Now my first thoughts were gummed up carbs, but my electrical exp is limited so could that be a possibility? Not enough juice to fire properly? I didn't pull all the plugs but one was blackened and sooty and the other smell of gas and looked wet.

So in summary.. Is the choke cable the prob? Dirty carbs or not enough juice?

I'm going to pick up a choke cable this week anyways....

Thanks a lot.
    Adam

question

What type of air cleaner is on it ?Pods? ?Stock?

Start the analysis with the choke working, less cranking to get it started may keep the battery up to assit in firing better. My Gs 850 will not crank very long before the battery power shows a decline.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by semerm
      What type of air cleaner is on it ?Pods? ?Stock?

Start the analysis with the choke working, less cranking to get it started may keep the battery up to assit in firing better. My Gs 850 will not crank very long before the battery power shows a decline.

Good luck!
      Stock cleaner, I think no jetting done... Ran great last year, it was a friends bike I drove it.

Comment

Do your self a favor and don't do anymore jump starting off cars. That'll bung up up your charging system or whatever is left of it. There are a lot of opinions out there about this practice but the general consensus is it's bad.
        EDGE_

Comment

yeah, I know ... I was desperate...

Comment

I put a New Gel Battery on My 850 over the Winter. Amazing how much Better is Starts AND Runs Now. I would do that First, 3 years is borrowed time for a Battery anyway.
            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

agree

I agree a new battery is probably in your future. The choke must be operational or even a new battery will be stressed trying to get it started without a choke.

Comment

Originally posted by EDGECRUSHER
                Do your self a favor and don't do anymore jump starting off cars. That'll bung up up your charging system or whatever is left of it. There are a lot of opinions out there about this practice but the general consensus is it's bad.
                EDGE_
                The general consesus more accurately is don't jump start from a car IF IT IS RUNNING.

Comment

Working...
                X