Button head bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Button head bolts

Ok I found out that the tastynut bolt wont work. I like the look of the stainless steel button head bolts. My problem are they strong enough. Is the head to weak or not. I dont like the look of the standerd allen head. Any help would be kind. And one more thing 18-8 or 316 which is better and why.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2006, 09:29 PM.

I use button head stainless steel bolts on my GS850G valve cover:

They do look cool, but the main reason I like them is that I can take the valve cover off in about 10 minutes with one tool -- the long 4mm ball end allen wrench you see in the photo. (I also replaced the tank hold-down bolts with button heads). The small hex and the small tool also keep me from over-torqueing the bolts and squashing the silicone Real Gasket valve cover gasket -- the silicone gasket calls for just 15 INCH-pounds of torque (1-1/4 foot-pound).

I'm still not really sure why I painted the valve cover wrinkle black. I guess I was bored one day. I'm sorta stuck with it now.

McMaster-Carr carries button heads in 18-8 stainless steel. Unless you're riding your GS through chemical waste dumps on a regular basis, the cheaper stainless will stand up fine to weathering. The more expensive grades of stainless are intended for really awful high temperature, high corrosion environments, like acid pumps and such. You MUST use anti-sieze on any stainless bolts that go into aluminum.

Stainless bolts are actually far stronger than the cheddar cheese bolts used throughout most of the bike. However, the stainless is harder and more brittle, so be aware of that. Fasteners that have been specially hardened or heat treated should not be replaced with stainless (such as wheel/axle hardware, engine mounting bolts, internal engine fasteners, etc.).

I got the bolts from McMaster-Carr. They have great prices as long as you don't mind buying in their quantities. (The valve cover bolts were 6mm thread X 40mm length.)
    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

The Real Gasket is from our friend Harold:
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

One other quick note:

If you're replacing case bolts, the button heads are too wide for many spots, so you should use the standard style allen heads.

McMaster-Carr has technical drawings of their bolts that show the head diameter if you need to check.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the info it helped out alot

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer

I'm still not really sure why I painted the valve cover wrinkle black. I guess I was bored one day. I'm sorta stuck with it now.
          I really like the black, Brian! Now if you continue the look into other parts of the engine you'll tie it all together.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
          X