I dumped my baby today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dumped my baby today....

Today, in a gas station parking lot, I dropped my 81 GS1100E. I don't quite know what happened. I jumped on the throttle (I always do that, and the front tire got a little air), and I remember something going wrong with my leather jacket sleeve catching (or something, I really haven't figured it out) the wrist saver gadget. I don't know exactly what I did wrong, but after the weight came back to the front tire, next thing I know my bike and I were sliding on the pavement. At first it didn't hurt, but I remember wanting to cry right then and there as I saw/heard my bike crashing and smashing on the pavement... Anyway, I'm OK, some road rash and bruises, and I'm sure I'll be more sore tomorrow.
    The real point of my post is to ask what exactly a particular part is (I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination). I have a drawing, but I'm not exactly sure where I can put that where ya'll can see it. So, I'll try to explain where I have a concern. Directly in front of the brake lever on the right side, the engine sticks out a bit with a Suzuki label. That part is smashed, and revealed beneath it is something very frayed. The worst part is the the rod that sticks through past a circular part. That rod is severly bent. Would this be the stator? That's what the guy with me thought it might be.
    Based on that rudimentary explanation, does anyone have any ideas? I'd be happy to email the GS1100 cutout from the site. I've edited it to point out the area I'm referring to. There's quite a bit more cosmetic damage, but I think the most expensive is the thing I described above. Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the points/pickups cover. Remove it and inspect for damage. If everything is OK, try and find a new one (and maybe some crash bars).

Comment

OW, I hate it when that happens
      using your description, that is the igniton trigger, it generates a signal that the igniter box uses to trigger the ignition coils to fire the spark plugs.
      there are two pickup coils located in there, these are mounted on opposet sides of the "circular part" they are coils of wire wraped around a metal piece.
      the "rod" that sticks through the "circular part" is often refered to as the trigger wheel, it should have a couple of raised points on the sides and have a bolt that holds it to the end of the crankshaft.
      you will need to carefully remove the bolt that holds the trigger wheel on and see if it is the bolt that is bent or is the crank shaft that has bent. (very bad)

can you take upclose pictures of the damage so we can get a better idea of what your options might be?
      If you have a digital camera, or a scanner you can set up a (free) acount and put the pictures here http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage/home.htm this is the place that several of the members here put their motorcycle pictures (me included)

Comment

Thanks! I'll work on that

I don't have a digital camera, but I know folks who do. I'll work on it. Thanks for your intput!

Comment

Check out this picture

I upload the picture I edited from the GSResources site. You may have to download it and edit it to make it larger. Here's the link in case you need it. It's under Josh's pics I'll work on geting real pictures up there. Thanks again.

Comment

The cover is for the ignition triggers like Focus thought. The knub may be your crackshaft. You may as well pull everything that is broken out of there and see if your crankshaft wobbles when you crank it over (by hand without the ignition on). If you crank it with the engine and there isn't anything down there you may cause your ignitor to fry. I'm not too sure though.

If your crank is okay you ought to be able to get all of those parts off of ebay as a single lot. There are people on the For Sale section that will also have them. If it is your crank I bet it will be cheaper to buy a new engine than it would be to have it professionally repaired. Dyna Ignition probably sells a kit to replace all of your electronics but not the cover. Heck, I've seen coffee cans used to cover the end of the engine if you are on a budget or can't stand waiting for parts to turn up for sale.

Comment

I have a bad feeling

It looks to me like my crankshaft is bent. :x The part that I assume attaches to the crankshaft (or maybe is the end...), it's the part that sticks out the farthest through what I now believe the be the trigger wheel, is bent. And, it's bent all the way until it disappears into the engine, although it doesn't appear to be bent inside (how could I really tell though?...). Does that necessarily mean that my crankshaft is bent?

If it is, I guess I'm screwed, especially with my lack of mechanical ability... Is it hard to find engines for an 81 1100EX? Do you think swapping engines is something that someone who pats himself on the back after changing the pads and rotors on his car could do? Has anyone seen any for sale, and do you remember about what it went for? Am I better off selling this one for parts...sniffle...sniffle... or keeping it for parts and finding another one?

Thanks a lot!!

Comment

You need to remove everything that is under the cover, set up a dial indicator on the crank end (there is not very much that sticks out of the cases) and check for runout while spinning the motor by hand (put it on the centerstand, remove the spark plugs, put it in 5th gear and spin the back tire in its normal direction). I don't think a low speed crash could easily bend the crank. Were you able to ride the bike home after the crash?

Comment

OW that does sound like a bent crank.
                  changing one of these engines is realy pretty easy, 14 wires, 4 plug wires, two hoses, 3 cables, 8 exaust flange bolts, and around 14 bolts and it out of there!!

option2 is to save your pennies and watch E-Bay closly for a crank, and get a local mechanic to change the crank for you.
                  also you will need to make sure that there was no damage done to the engine cases.

PS: any luck with getting the pictures up?

Comment

You should go to bikebandit.com and have a look at the schematic of your bikes timing cover. The picture I looked at showed a 3" bolt going into the engine and I'm guessing that is what you bent. I can't really tell you what work it is to swap an engine since I don't have my 1100 yet. I would assume an engine is worth about half the price of your bike whatever that may be. They are forsale here and I was offered one with TONS of extra stuff for 1000$US. If you get the same year motor to put in it shouldn't be more than a two day job of tinkering and head scratching. I would be able to do it in 4 hours including a 1 hour nap assuming I didn't break any bolts while removing them. :roll:

Comment

I know this sounds a little off the rocker, but if the crank is bent and therefore the motor is toast....... I know silly me, why don't you take a whack at trying to straighten it? Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

I think youre correct Don. Since the 3" ignition assembly mount bolt is threaded into the end of the crankshaft, it is extremely doubtful that the crank could be bent in a low speed mishap. Crankshafts are hardened, supported in bearings and have a much larger cross section than the bolt. Its a matter of form factor and stress load capability. The bolt will not be as hard as the crank and the form factor will/should guarantee that it will either bend or break before the crankshaft will deform. The bolt should be intentionally engineered to sheer or deflect before damaging the crank. I would be very surprised if the crank was bent.

Earl

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
                        You need to remove everything that is under the cover, set up a dial indicator on the crank end (there is not very much that sticks out of the cases) and check for runout while spinning the motor by hand (put it on the centerstand, remove the spark plugs, put it in 5th gear and spin the back tire in its normal direction). I don't think a low speed crash could easily bend the crank. Were you able to ride the bike home after the crash?
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

cranks can be straightened (and welded while your at it) by several race shops like Falicon (1st choice), star racing, schnitz, and some others...

Comment

well, I feel a bit better

Thanks for all the good information. I feel a little better now thinking it's probably not the crank. I'll see what I can do about getting that bolt unscrewed to replace it. I'll work on getting some pictures, so ya'll can see what I'm talking about.
                            Thanks again!!! This is a such a great site!

Josh

Comment

Finally got some pictures

Well, I finally got some pictures up on that site. Take a look and let me know what you think. I straightened that bolt, and it looks like everything associated with the bolt works. I'm still going to replace it though. Here's the link. My pictures are under Josh's pics. Thanks again for all the good information.

Comment

Working...
                              X