Need advice about my Fork situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice about my Fork situation

I have a '80 GS750E. I had the fork seals replaced a couple years ago. One started leaking last summer. The upper tubes have pitts.
    I found a nice set of forks on ebay. Bought them, very nice no pits, however they are different than my original (even though the seller clamed they came from an '80). These have air valves at the top (maybe from a newer bike?).

So, will these work on my bike?

Are the oil seals, etc. I bought for the original forks the same as for these "newer " forks.

Or should I stick with the original, oil only forks, and if so will the inner tubes from the newer forks work on the originals.

Any and all opinions will be helpful.

Karl

Some models have air caps. Some people added the air caps themsleves.
    This was a modification "back in the day". Some of old guys did it to our bikes.

Check the tube diameter and length. If they are the same, then just swap the tube out.
    I have the option of using air in my forks and don't use any.
    i run 20 weight oil, but I'm also on the XL side of people.
    I do like the front end firm, not harsh.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Check the forum for good advise about removing the damper rods, that will be the most difficult part of the job.
      Mostly even with air forks I don't use the air at all,
      When you reassembly the fork you can fill the inner tube with oil, first make sure that the top cap, the spacer (collar) ,the spring seat and the spring, are not in the inner tube, then fill the inner tube with 10-30 fork oil until the level is 13 cm from the top of the tube, jerk the tube couple of times to make sure the oil went everywhere.
      Using 13 cm instead of 14 cm as advise an using no air at all... Since I did this to my gs 1000 L it behaves far better than using 10-20 oil and air pressure. Gives more confidence when cornering and makes the front end feel stronger at high speeds.

Comment

Thanks for the info - my computer has been down - just got your post today (April 1)
        Karl

Comment

Thanks for the info - my computer has been down - just got your post today (April 1)
          Karl

Comment

Working...
          X