Carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild

I have to sets of carbs sitting here for my 79 gs550. There is enough 'good condition' parts in both carbs to make one clean working carb. However I have read on many posts that when cleaning the carbs you should never interchange parts (between the different carb sections). So my question is, can I interchange the parts from carburetor to carburetor or do I have to buy a rebuild kit?

Why should these not be mixed up?

Another question... What are the parts that usually need changing (float needles I imagine, but do jets really go bad?)?

Does anyone have the Robert Barr's website or contact information so I can get a set of orings?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Another question... is there any place where I can buy seperate fuel screws (vm carbs off a 79 gs) thanks!

Comment

The Ideal situation would be to clean and reuse everything except any O Rings. Replace them all. I don't even replace the bowl gaskets unless they are bad. Nothing really goes bad, it just gets years of crust on things that will usually clean up. The mixing parts up is mostly for the float valve and needle. They form to each other and may not seal if interchanged. I place all parts, jets, needles screws etc. in one container of cleaner, cover with lid, ignore overnite, then clean and inspect each piece individually, before installing them at random. If float valves or needles are worn enough to make a dif, they need replaced. Some people keep parts from each carb seperate and only install back into original carb they were removed from, that's the advice usually given.

Comment

Man, I have mixed and matched so many carb parts I bet my current carbs have at least 6 different sets of carb parts scattered throughout them.

They also say to never put a different cam in the engine, becasue the cam shaft seats wear very specifically to each cam. Ask the drag bike boys what they think of that!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Can highly recommend these kits, just fitted this and an engine set to gs550ec

Comment

Thanks guys... but does anyone have Robert Barr's webpage (the new one) or his contact info?

And for the fuel needles can I buy these seperate?

Comment

Bexabarr- step up to the plate and buy a set of 4 complete rebuild kits. Nothing works as good as new parts right ? I just bought a set off e-bay and they are more complete than I ever imagined. This was what I had to deal with...YUK !

Comment

Sorry couldn't attach image. I already posted it in a previous post. Gs550 newbie was the topic title...or something like that.
                Kelzer

Comment

I'd be careful with the kits. Here's a page from the factory manual that will explain it better than I can. Others here including myself, have found brass shavings after using the new jets. If you get that into one of those orifice you may not get it back out.

Comment

Thanks guys... I would really like to get new kits, and in fact I was planning to do so. But just today I got nailed at the DMV for $180 (renewing my license, title switch, and something else I can't remember). That was the money I had saved up to fix my bike up. So, since I do have to carbs w/ components I think that I'm going to stick to just changing the o-rings (link anyone?). Thanks again.

Comment

oh and thanks arveejay for taking the time to post that... most interesting!

Comment

Your welcome, just trying to save you some riding time this season.

Comment

Here is the link for the O Rings.

http://www.cycleorings.com/VMkit.html

Comment

Hey thanks again! Been looking all over for that link I just bought a set of o-rings. Can't wait!

Comment

Overall, it seems to make sense to keep your parts together if you can. The first time I cleaned my carbs however, I just mixed everything up and so far I've never had a problem.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2006, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X