GS1100G engine won't engage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G engine won't engage

Hi. I just got an 1982 GS1100G that has been sitting outside over the last two years. Put in a new battery, it makes noise but won't run. I opened up the left lower cover exposing alternator. I see that the starter turns the gears, but won't turn the engine. I can turn the engine myself with a wrench no problem. So I have a couple of questions

1) Do I understand correctly that there's something called a "starter clutch" that's not working properly?

2) How do I remove the rotor without using a special tool (a slide hammer)?

3) What would be a good book to go by, as mine only tells me how to take things apart w/o explaining how they work, and I'm quite new to motorcycle repair.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :-D David.

A SLIDE HAMMER IS THE L A S T THING YOU EVER WANT TO USE ON A STATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that we have that outta the way and I dont need to yell anymore... :-)
    You need the special tool. Spend the $24 before trying to make do and costing yourself a two thousand dollar bill for a new stator, starter clutch, tearing down and reassembling the engine and looking for a machine shop to repair your bashed crankshaft. :-)

You need a rotor puller. You may not strike the rotor with anything, dont even tap it with a lettle biddy hammer thinking you will tap it lose. The starter clutch is sandwiched between the rotor and the engine case, mounted to the back of the rotor. If the starter clutch is spinning and the engine is not turning over, then the three machine screws that fasten it to the rear of the rotor have sheared off. It is a press fit on a tapered shaft, so if it is spinning, you also need to inspect for any damage that may have been done to the shaft before retorquing it and the rotor.

Also, I have found one primary reason why starter clutch bolts shear off.
    That reason is a faulty petcock. Gas seeps into the crankcase, the oil level becomes too high and the next time someone presses the starter button, the engine hydrolocks. The weak link is the starter clutch retainer bolts. That is a fortunate thing because a matching set of connecting rods is much more expensive.

Replace the petcock, it is not optional. Unless you want to be buying some connecting rods and repairing the starter clutch again too.

For wealth of information, a factory service manual is by far the best book. However, it assumes you are already a trained mechanic and there are no instructions and few explanations in it. To begin, Probably a Clymer book would be the better choice since it does give some explanation and instructions.

Earl

Originally posted by poster177
    Hi. I just got an 1982 GS1100G that has been sitting outside over the last two years. Put in a new battery, it makes noise but won't run. I opened up the left lower cover exposing alternator. I see that the starter turns the gears, but won't turn the engine. I can turn the engine myself with a wrench no problem. So I have a couple of questions

1) Do I understand correctly that there's something called a "starter clutch" that's not working properly?

2) How do I remove the rotor without using a special tool (a slide hammer)?

3) What would be a good book to go by, as mine only tells me how to take things apart w/o explaining how they work, and I'm quite new to motorcycle repair.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :-D David.
    Last edited by earlfor; 03-27-2006, 03:35 AM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks a lot Earlfor, I've ordered the flywheel puller after reading your message, it turned out to be only $10. We'll see what transpires.

As to a book Clymer is exactly what I have, I was hoping for something more detailed. I guess some things you just have to figure out or google. I guess I'll be asking many more questions, thanks. David.

Comment

David, you may want to spend some time at http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm .

I use this site as my homepage.

Comment

Working...
        X