Clutch - Shifting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch - Shifting issue

1982 GS750E - 30,000 km - Stage 1 kit? (pods, 4 into 1) - (was told) Electrex installed - Bought in the fall - finally looking at it.

Clutch - With the clutch cable adjusted so there is about 1/16th of an inch free play in the lever, fully engaging does not release the clutch. With the clutch cable adjusted so there is less than zero free play, it will disengage.
    Anyone have any ideas what could have been altered/changed to produce this one?

Shifting issue - may or may not be part of the clutch one.... When running, the bike shifts very hard (more like a very hard pedal than a toe activated switch) and cannot be put into neutral. As soon as you stop the motor, clutch in, bike slips easily into neutral.
    Got me stumped.

I'll be opening up both of the case covers (electrical side "sealed" with masking tape?) so I may find the answer very sortly but I would rathert have a little intel before I crack the cases.

Snow is melting, sun is shining, will be riding to work on Thursday!!

probably has a performance clutch and springs in it.
    I made the mistake of putting performance plates and springs in mine and it was a royal pain, no amount of adjusting or fiddling would get it to release fully.
    changed back to stock type plates and a blend of 10% stronger springs and stock springs (had so called 20% stronger springs in it) and it works great now.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.
      I'm hoping it's as simple as that.

Would that create that odd shifting issue as well? (won't shift when started but flips easily when motor is off)

Comment

Or a bad worn out cable. And the shifting and neutral problems are directly
        caused by the clutch not dis engaging. Stay away from the ebay "new" cables, they are crap, trust me. I got a nice motion pro cable, try Z1 guys.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!
          I will remove and re-test the cable.
          It "seemed" perfect but I may have missed something so I'll go over it more carefully.
          It is a pretty new looking one with an adjuster (long nut, threaded section and lock nut) at about the half way point (directly under the damned gas tank!).

Comment

The clutch cable is probably old and stretching too much. It will appear tight at the lever, but as you pull the lever, the cable gets "longer". :-)
            Yeah, it really will.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

A new Genuine Suzuki clutch cable makes for happy shifting... :-)

Comment

Thanks for all the info!

I've been telling the ladies for years... If you pull on it often enough it will get longer.
                Hasn't happened yet.

I have a spare I can swap in to test if there is "give" in the cable.

So far everyone except for Frenzy is saying it's the cable. Does that mean I don't get to play in the oil??

I'm going to post it as a new topic but... There is no centre stand on this bike. Anyone have a neat trick for getting the back wheel off the ground and holding the bike level without a centre stand?

Comment

Working...
                X