GS850 Won't Run Properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Won't Run Properly

I have a 1980 GS850. It gives me a lot of problems. The bike is hard to start and won't rev up. Thought it was a carburetor problem, (carb has been soaked and thoroughly cleaned). Now I think it may be electrical. Have 12V at the battery and the fuse that goes to the kill switch, when I check the orange and white wires going to the coils with the key on I only show between 8 and 9 volts. Had it running the other day, real hard to keep it going. When I shut it off I looked at number 3 and 4 plugs, they were black and wet with gas. Number 1 and 2 exhaust pipes were hot, 3 and 4 were cold. Please help. Thanks

It wouldn't necessarily be the coils or their connections being bad, as cylinders 1 and 4 run off one coil while 2 and 3 run off the other coil. I would clean the connections thoroughly if you're only getting 8 or 9 volts. My first instinct would be to examine the wires from the coils and to test the resistance of the spark plug caps. That is assuming that the carb cleaning was done right and the carbs are properly set up and visually synchronized. If that hasn't been done, mention it. The technical talent on this site can and will help.

Comment

I agree, go through your connections, from the handle bar on down and clean your connections. 8 or 9 volts is too low. Check especially the ground connections that connect to your battery box, they are always suspect. I gained a 1 1/2 volts by cleaning all my connections. Your battery needs to be in good shape too.

If your bike is stock (is it?), the airbox has to be sealed perfectly for your bike to run well. Even if your everything else is perfect on your bike it won't run worth a darn if the air box isn't on or sealed right.

Also check your petcock to see if its operating correctly. You could be sucking gas into the #3 carb through the vacuum line if your petcock gaskets are leaking.

Have you checked your pilot air screws? If they are screwed in too far, they'll flood your bike and foul your plugs. Carbs synched? Floats adjusted correctly?

I had the same problem with my 850. It turned out to be a lot of things that just weren't adjusted right, and cleaned good. Have a few new plugs on hand, I fouled a few plugs and after that they wouldn't fire.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2006, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Verify you have the plug wires hooked correctly. Something doesn't sound right. The two middle cyliners should be wired to the same coil.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Where are you? Might be an experienced GS-er in your neighborhood.

The advice so far is great -- let us know what happens. There are way too many parted out 850s sitting on eBay because someone gave up on a relatively simple problem!
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

check the kill switch make sure there is no corrosion and also check the spark plugs are in properly and wires are good.

good luck,
            Jo

Comment

barring your coils being connected to the wrong plugs, the fact that three and four are cold sounds like it might be a fuel supply issue, but the fact that the plugs are wet contradicts that...hmmm.

Comment

I'll just repeat, I had the same problem with my bike....sometimes 3 and 4 wouldn't fire....then it would run on three, two, and one cylinder. Different cylinders would work at different times, but rarely all four together....no consistancy. The cylinders that were not firing were always gas soaked.

For me, I think the problem was a combination of poor spark, a poorly tuned carb. Cleaning all electrical connections, getting proper voltage to the coils, new spark plug caps etc., and getting the carbs adjusted half decently cured it.

Comment

Any update on this? I have the same prob...

Comment

Working...
                  X