1977 GS750 with a seatlock problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 with a seatlock problem

I turned my ket in the seat lock the other day and nothing happened. The key turned but the lock was not released. I used a screw driver and got the seat free from the lock and then I took of the lock. Yes it is true. the key turns but the lock does not pull back.

Can I take this apart and fix it?

It seems like the lock would screw out but I have to confess i am stymied.
    Any help??

Usually, it is necessary to remove the complete seat lock/holder from the bike.
    On the back of the assembly, you will find (again usually) a retainer plate and two screws holding the plate. Remove that and the tumbler should slide out.
    In the housing, you will see a round cavity, a spring and a catch. the catch is either fiber filled nylon or cast aluminum. It is the catch that always breaks off and allows the tumbler to turn with nothing happening.
    I dont think the catch is available separately, so unless you have another matching latch set, your only option is replacing the whole assembly.

Earl

Originally posted by rgierer
    I turned my ket in the seat lock the other day and nothing happened. The key turned but the lock was not released. I used a screw driver and got the seat free from the lock and then I took of the lock. Yes it is true. the key turns but the lock does not pull back.

Can I take this apart and fix it?

It seems like the lock would screw out but I have to confess i am stymied.
    Any help??
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks,

guess I have never been able to get the tumbler out and I at least wanted to have a key that matched the ignition if I repace it. I guess I will put some penetrating oil on the unit and see if it comes apart.

Again Thankyou

Comment

rgierer, I had the same thing happen to the seat lock on my '77 750, as well as the gas cap lock. There doesn't look to be any way to disassemble the seat lock. I ended up watching ebay really closely and buying a whole lock set when one came up. And then the ignition in the set didn't end up working... so now I've got one key for my old ignition, and another that does the seat lock and gas cap. Not the best scenario, but at least everything locks now!

Comment

Thanks...i will keep my eyes peeled

Comment

my seat gets stuck but its only because the seat pan is a bit old and some rust has taken away the rigidity of it. And I guess it pushes back enough to where the bar wont come out of the lock until you put a good amount of pressure on it forward.

might check that out as well.

Comment

RotaryRodder, if his problem is anything like mine, it's the actual lock mechanism itself. I have the old one off the bike and turning the key in it doesn't move the "striker" at all.

Comment

Working...
              X