Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oil change necessary after fuel flooding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil change necessary after fuel flooding?

Hi -

First of all, I just found the site and it's awesome. Tons of information and very talented people here.

My question:
    I took my 82 GS750E for its first long ride and found the next day that the airbox was full of fuel. I later discovered (from using this site) that the fuel line was in the "prime" position, and probably the cause of the leak. My question is, is it now necessary to change the oil since the carbs were obviously flooded? Or is there a chance the fuel didn't make it down into the crank case after one day?

Thanks a bunch for your help

Aaron
    Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2006, 04:32 AM.

You can check your oil level, or you can sniff the oil to see if it smells of fuel, or you can play it safe and for a few bucks worth of oil you can give yourself the confidence that it's OK.

You might also check your carb needle valves to see which one is sticking open. They should close off the flow when the float rises. Sometimes they only stick open when hot.

Another thing to check is whether the fuel runs down the vacuum line, indicating a blown diaphragm in the petcock.

Kim

Comment

just change it

Comment

I had major carb/petcock problems on my ninja. When I drained my oil it was maybe 50-60% gasonline.

Comment

change it... gasoline is not a good lubricant...
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Working...
          X