My outer clutch basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My outer clutch basket

My outer clutch basket has developed grooves where the metal portion of the fiber discs come in contact with it 8O . I was wondering if the basket from an 1150 is made of diferent material. I dont believe that the minor engine mods i made to the 1100ed are producing any more or if any more, very little more HP than the stock 1150. I seldom run the bike hard. I have done it a few times in a street drag but for the most part, i drive like a true slow poke. I really dont understand why i have these grooves. I surely would appreciate any and all input on this question. :roll:
    The present outer basket is a stock basket that has been upgraded to heavy duty and i also run 6 HD clutch springs and have 1 thicker steel plate out of the older design clutch with the 9 disks. And i dont love Raymond.

It sounds like normal wear. I haven't touched the clutch on my GS yet but I have worked on CB750F and FJ1200A clutches and baskets were worn slightly on both. Any chance you could post a picture of the grooves?
    Do you even like Raymond at all?

Comment

How bad do the grooves have to be before a regular engine tears apart the basket? The clutch basket in my CR250 had close to 1/16th of an inch grooves in it but did fine.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
        How bad do the grooves have to be before a regular engine tears apart the basket? The clutch basket in my CR250 had close to 1/16th of an inch grooves in it but did fine.

Steve
        To reply to both previous posts, it seems that i have gone past any normal wear. The gruves(??? how do you spell that word)) exceed 1mm. A friend of mine checked this out for me. It looks horrid any how and even without checking, I wll have no peace untill i do something about it. the bike had 40,000 miles on it before i did the mods and the basket didnt have a mark in it--Well thats all the info. I have so far--What do you guys think. I spoke to Dave about it also and he said he had a similar experience but we never discussed it further.

Comment

What happens is the drive(fiber) discs hang up in the grooves and can wedge themselves, preventing full clutch release, I've seen it twice on my 1100, and also on the 650 & 750, I clean them up with a file before reassembly, I'm thinking its from downshifting to engine brake, but, hard upshifts, with little clutch feathering, I'm sure is also to blame, I never checked to see which, if either, set of grooves (leading or trailing) was deeper, as that would show whether it was from up or down shifting

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
            What happens is the drive(fiber) discs hang up in the grooves and can wedge themselves, preventing full clutch release, I've seen it twice on my 1100, and also on the 650 & 750, I clean them up with a file before reassembly, I'm thinking its from downshifting to engine brake, but, hard upshifts, with little clutch feathering, I'm sure is also to blame, I never checked to see which, if either, set of grooves (leading or trailing) was deeper, as that would show whether it was from up or down shifting
            I guess this blows my position of shifting without the clutch not being harmfull. I don't shift hard though. I always allow it to slop in. never under power
            Engine braking is something i only use in emergency stops (I believe in changing brake pads rather than other parts) so i am clueless as to the cause.
            Now that you mentioned it, I dont recall seeing ANY groves that could have been caused by engine braking.

Comment

I take that to mean that only one side of the slots had grooves in them?

Comment

I've had several 1100's some hopped up, some stock. In years past, rode & shifted real hard, would say abused the clutch baskets real bad. Never saw significant grooves in any of the 1100's baskets. Now own a GS 1150, that has in the past, had an air shifter on it, and I know it has been on the dragstrip a lot. Very hard to shift to neutral, nor anywhere while engine was running. Took clutch apart and found very deep grooves in both the fore & aft sides of the rails inside the basket. Haven't measured, but would guess apprx. 1/8" deep. Couldn't figure why in the 1150, but not the 1100. Found & installed a good used basket, now everything shifts fine. Hope ya'll figure it out, I don't have a clue.

Comment

Heh, I can inspect my clutch for grooves by looking through the oil filler hole. Are the 1100/1150 clutches hard to see in there? Oh yeah, I've been wondering...are the 1100s and 1150s the same engine and do they have the same displacement?

Comment

Heh, I can inspect my clutch for grooves by looking through the oil filler hole. Are the 1100/1150 clutches hard to see in there? Oh yeah, I've been wondering...are the 1100s and 1150s the same engine and do they have the same displacement?
                    the 1100s have 1075cc in 1983 and the 1150s have bout 1125 cc. I dont remember the exact amount

Comment

Dave i seem to remember that but im not sure. I remember thinking --what could i have done to drive those plates into the aluminum????

Comment

Pretty much the same engine but not the same displacement 1074 cm2 and 1135 cm2.

Different clutch baskets to, the 1150 has an extra thrust washer, which make it possible to adjust the clutchbasket clearence.

I remember that the 1150 basket has an inner steel ring, not shure if the 1100 had that steel ring (came loose on my 1150).

The oil supply is different to the alternator rotor bearing and the rotor removing tool is different.

There are probably some more differences, but this what I can remember like that.

It's not easy to make a proper inspection through the oil filler hole, but you can see something.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                          the 1100s have 1075cc in 1983 and the 1150s have bout 1125 cc. I dont remember the exact amount
                          Scotty,

I can agree to the 1075 (my swedish papers say 1074) but I must hang on to the 1135 for the 1150 model.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                            Dave i seem to remember that but im not sure. I remember thinking --what could i have done to drive those plates into the aluminum????
                            Where do you have the groves? is groves like marks in the clutchbaskets inner?

Do you have a pic?

I had (different) trouble with both the GSX 1100 and the GS 1150, maybe I rember something, I also keeped the replaced 1150 clutchbasket with the loose inner steel ring.

Comment

I think that the steel used for backing on the fiber discs just beats up on the basket slots,being made of softer aluminum. I put in a newer set of Barnett kevlar discs awhile back and noticed that it looked like they changed the backing plates to aluminum or an alloy thereof, instead of steel, maybe that's the fix? I haven't had that particular one apart yet to see if it's grooved also, they probably get worse as the slot distance opens up and allows the discs to accelerate further before smacking into the basket slots. This is probably also why the 1100s were known for blowing up baskets, hence the billet set-up

Comment

Working...
                              X