No announcement yet.

My outer clutch basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remember that the 1150 basket has an inner steel ring, not shure if the 1100 had that steel ring (came loose on my 1150).

Kz it is the inner basket that has the steel insert. I have one in my 1100. the groves that I am speaking of are in the outer basket. Thats an interesting item on the fibers being mounted on aluminum. I was wondering if the 1150 outer basket was the same exact material as the 1100 outer basket

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
      Kz it is the inner basket that has the steel insert. I have one in my 1100. the groves that I am speaking of are in the outer basket. Thats an interesting item on the fibers being mounted on aluminum. I was wondering if the 1150 outer basket was the same exact material as the 1100 outer basket
      Scotty,

OK, I have mistaken, you are right, checked it up. I still have my replaced INNER clutchbasket. (now my keyboard is oily). :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
        remember that the 1150 basket has an inner steel ring, not shure if the 1100 had that steel ring (came loose on my 1150).

Can't remember seeing any difference on the -81 and the -84 OUTHER clutchbasket, but I was, at that time not looking for any difference......

So, not sure, but have not seen any difference that I remember.......

Comment

Sorry I didn't say what I ment a while ago. I said apprx. 1/8" grooves, I should have said apprx 1/16" grooves. I've blown 1 clutch basket, never could be positive, all indications showed that the rivets pulled thru the backing plate, causing the problem. From then on, we always welded the rivets to the backing plate. Also the rails inside the blown clutch basket didn't have any grooves at all.

Comment

slowpok, the 1150 clutch gear has two more teeth on it. It has 89 teeth where the 1100's have 87 teeth. The problem with the clutch basket if not too bad can be fixed by filing down the high spots but can only be done a few times. the groves are caused by heavy springs the clutch holds harder causing the tabs on the fibers to dig in if you use a after market extra plate clutch kit the tabs are thinner and make the problem worse. only use stock plates or ones with thick tabs. and if you decide to change your basket a solid billet basket would be a better choice it has harder aluminum. and yes it happens to the 1150 also

Comment

OK guys the sum total of the whole schmear is that i should have done a billet basket to start with. I didnt know enough at the time to buy a used one so i had a standard basked beefed up. Dave had already said he went through the basket gruve thing and now with all the other information I see it is the only way to go.. Thanks all again.

Comment

Can anyone show a pic of where grooves are? Thanks.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I dont' have a photo but I'll explain it.

One set of discs (metal or fibres) have splines on the centre of them and the other set has splines on the outside of them. The outside splines meet up with the clutch basket in the channels than run down the inside of the basket. These channels will get grooves in them from the splines of the discs pounding back and fourth.

Steve

Comment

Be careful with the file. If you take exactly .010 off 1 rail, you should take exactly .010 off all of them. If all the rails aren't spaced exactly the same, all the tabs won't be touching a rail. If you take .005 off a rail, and .010 off another rail, and don't take anything off the others. The tab for the first rail will miss makeing contact with that rail by .005. The tab for the rail that was filed .010 will miss makeing contact with that rail by .010. I have trouble explaining things. I understand exactly what I'm saying, hope I got my point across.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                      Be careful with the file. If you take exactly .010 off 1 rail, you should take exactly .010 off all of them. If all the rails aren't spaced exactly the same, all the tabs won't be touching a rail. If you take .005 off a rail, and .010 off another rail, and don't take anything off the others. The tab for the first rail will miss makeing contact with that rail by .005. The tab for the rail that was filed .010 will miss makeing contact with that rail by .010. I have trouble explaining things. I understand exactly what I'm saying, hope I got my point across.
                      The obvious is always something that i dont think of--Thanks--I will not attempt to salvage the basket. I will run it like it is for a short while while i hunt a bilett basket--
                      Do the gears on the outer basket press off and on if i find one with straight cut teeth and want to replace it with my beveled teeth

I just realized that the gear was part of the backing plate. Sorry

Comment

Grooves

Thanks for info srivett. The grooves in mine are small.You can feel small bumps, but they look to be 1/64'',if that much.So I think it's 'ok'. Thanks again. KK.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                        X