Clickety clickety on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clickety clickety on startup

Hey all. Just tried to start my 82 GS650 after being garage stored since Oct. Charged up the battery and all warning lights are strong. On attempted startup the engine turned over once and now I only get a clickety clickety sound from a small black box beside the battery. I am a mechanical idiot but am trying to learn. Is this the solonoid? If I replace this will I have more success? Help.

Thanks in advance

I don't have a fix for you, but my 1100 does this every once in a while. I put it in gear and give the bike a little push, just enough to bump the motor. Then I pull the clutch and give the starter a bump and it works. Worth a shot. You could try bypassing the stater solenoid to see if its bad(the black box making the clikety click sound).

Comment

Is battery putting out at least 13.5 volts after the charge? The lights can look bright, but the voltage too low to turn the starter. I would consider jumping the bike from a NON-RUNNING car to see if starts. If it does, you know it's a battery problem.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2006, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko
        Hey all. Just tried to start my 82 GS650 after being garage stored since Oct. Charged up the battery and all warning lights are strong. On attempted startup the engine turned over once and now I only get a clickety clickety sound from a small black box beside the battery. I am a mechanical idiot but am trying to learn. Is this the solonoid? If I replace this will I have more success? Help.

Thanks in advance
        I have had batteries say they are fully charged when in fact they are dead. Check with a hydrometer(battery tester) the little thing with balls in it that floats when you fill it with your battery water. You can get one at any parts store. i would bet your battery is not capable of putting out the voltage you need to start your bike.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. It's stored in my mother-in-law's garage so I'll check it out this weekend. Weather's getting nicer. I'm starting to see more and more bikes on the road. Getting the itch.

Comment

Hey all. Thanks for your help. I jumped it from a non-running car. It took a few min to turn over but it fired up and ran smooth. Guess the battery is toast. Hope that's my biggest problem this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko
              Hey all. Thanks for your help. I jumped it from a non-running car. It took a few min to turn over but it fired up and ran smooth. Guess the battery is toast. Hope that's my biggest problem this season.
              Bad batteries will "short out" and cause a battery charger to be tricked into believing that it is fully charged.Always check with a hydrometer for accuracy!

Comment

Working...
              X