Oil change help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil change help

I started to change the oil a little while ago. It says 2400mL on the side, and the book said to use about 3L, I checked the oil in the little window before hand and it's full. But when I removed the drain plug and cover, only about 1/2 quarts, MAYBE, came out. Not having a center stand I jacked the back end up to get more out, but still nothing. When I check the oil again it is still full!

You are supposed to check the oil with the bike vertical right? not on the side stand.

Do I need to remove the side cover to get the rest of the oil out?

you might have a window that has been "stained" black from sitting for a long time.

this would make you think that you have a "full" resevoir of oil, when in reality it's low.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

na, I can see the oil move up and down.

Comment

Hmm, i just reread your post.. are you sure you have the right drain plug? There should be one in the dead center underneath the engine. a 17mm bolt or something. I think the one you undid was the one that was on the oil filter cover?

Comment

Yep, "drain plug and cover". I'd say that you must've pulled the filter cover (located in the front of the engine) off. You wouldn't get a whole lot of oil from there.

Brad tt

Comment

How much oil comes out with the filter?

Comment

you're right thanks a bunch. The manual isn't that clear about it, and with a non-stock exhaust it was impossible to see from the side of the bike I was.

Why is there a drain plug on the filter housing?!?!?!?!

Comment

exhaust

Ah, I was just gonna ask if you had a 4 into 1 exhaust or something - they often hide the drain plug. I think the drain plug on the filter cover might be a pick up point provided for fitting oil temp or pressure guages, could be wrong though. It's useless as far as servicing goes as you have to remove the cover anyway to replace the filter.

One other thing - the "2400ml" by the oil filler hole is usually the amount of oil you need if you don't change the filter. You may need a little bit more with a new filter. When the level in the sight glass is right, run the engine for a few minutes, switch it off and wait for a while and check the level again. It may need a little top-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Llamaguy

I guess I'm a bit confused by this statement. Now, understandably, I have an older bike, but I'm not sure of the drain plug that you're referring to. My bike has 5 acorn nuts that hold the filter cover in place. What's on yours? And do you have an oil cooler (radiator-type thing mounted on the frame above the exhaust)?

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
                    I guess I'm a bit confused by this statement. Now, understandably, I have an older bike, but I'm not sure of the drain plug that you're referring to. My bike has 5 acorn nuts that hold the filter cover in place. What's on yours? And do you have an oil cooler (radiator-type thing mounted on the frame above the exhaust)?

Brad tt
                    Some of the newer bikes have a drain plug in the filter cover...

Comment

The drain plug is aprox a 15/16ths plug underneath the bike between the center two exhaust pipes. You cant see it unless you're on the floor, on your back, with your head under the engine. The oil filter cover is on the front of the crankcase between the center pipes and has (usually) acorn nuts retaining it.

Earl
                      na, I can see the oil move up and down.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

That housing may have been made to fit multiple models. It could be the plugged tap for an oil cooler line used by another model.

Earl

you're right thanks a bunch. The manual isn't that clear about it, and with a non-stock exhaust it was impossible to see from the side of the bike I was.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                        X