where is my 6th gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where is my 6th gear

I have a 82 gs850glz. I was just wondering ....why didn't they offer them with a 6th gear? The gear indicator has a 6 on it...was it an option or just because the indicator is interchangable with something else that has a 6th gear? If it's an option for my bike...I WANT IT...and where do I get it?

80 1100l

Yeah, I have the same thing on my bike. When I first bought it I thought there was something wrong with my transmission. Not! just a pipe dream.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The 6th gear was for the smaller displacement bikes (550's mainly and I'm sure I'll be corrected if it was for smaller). My '79 750 had the indicator and I could make out the 6, but it was only a 5 speed. I'm not totally sure why, but I believe that the 6 speeds were mainly a smaller first gear and a little taller 6th gear. I don't know if you've tried any high speed testing of your 850, but, if you have, then the question is, do you need another gear?

Brad tt

Comment

My '81 GS550T has 6th.

Comment

I have definately tried the high speed testing. I think it needs another gear just for highway cruising.

Comment

I agree that the 850 needs another gear. It's turning about 6,000 at 80MPH, which seems a little frantic.

Then again, it'll do that all day and all night with no trouble. I've been on lots of long distance all day rides on my 850 where I use the interstate to blast through the boring bits.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My 450 had 6; the 5 in my 750, and now 850 did/does seem like one too few, kind of like an old 3-spd auto trans vs. a 4-spd auto with overdrive. The gas mileage has to be suffering. I'm used to 5 now though.

Comment

And there's another reason why CHAINS RULE!! :-D

(can change gearing with a swap of a sprocket)

Comment

the 550 and smaller bikes had 6 speed trannys. The reason the indicator shows 1-6 is that the part is a suzuki specific part, and they used the same part on all of their bikes. It's cheaper that way.

As for why the big bikes have fewer gears... it's about size and price. It's cheaper to build a 5 speed transmission, and if the engine is torquey enough to handle it, why bother with the extra gear. Seccond motors that make more torque, need wider gears, so there's less room available for more gear ratios. Also on the shafties, you really can't afford to make the gearbox much wider ;-)
                  You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                  If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                  1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                  1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                  1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                  1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                  1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by beby99

yeah, yeah!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by beby99

Ahh yes! Yet another reason I like my dirty chain. 80 mph at 6k rpm? I like my sedate 4500 rpm at that speed! :razz: It's good on gas, too!

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro

As for why the big bikes have fewer gears... it's about size and price. It's cheaper to build a 5 speed transmission, and if the engine is torquey enough to handle it, why bother with the extra gear. Seccond motors that make more torque, need wider gears, so there's less room available for more gear ratios. Also on the shafties, you really can't afford to make the gearbox much wider ;-)
                        My GT 250 has 6 and I hardly ever get up to 5th let alone 6th.

Now a question for Nerobro,how is it then that my next love, the Concours, has shaft drive, is a 1000cc machine with a 6 speed.:shock:
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
                          Ahh yes! Yet another reason I like my dirty chain. 80 mph at 6k rpm? I like my sedate 4500 rpm at that speed! :razz: It's good on gas, too!

Brad tt

Dirty chain..................noooo

Brand new 530 chain. So many things you can tweak with chain drive.\\/ \\/

Oh the day to have both
                          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                          2000 Kawasaki Concours
                          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                          X