What should be a simple question, GS300L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should be a simple question, GS300L

Hello, new to the forum, new to motorcycles. I just got a 1985 GS300L,and I'm just starting to get to know it. Here's the question- On the right side on the top of the case and below the carb, there's a spring-loaded turn button. What is it? (Don't laugh, although I'm sure I should know this!!) Thanks!

That is the automatic cam chain adjuster. Leave it alone.

Comment

Yup, don't muck with it, especially when the engine is running.

Here's a disassembled cam chain tensioner in case you're really curious. Yours probably looks a little different, but the principles are the same.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yep, automatic cam chain tensioner... Leave it alone..
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

The spring on the automatic cam chain tensioner is seated and winds/unwinds on its own to set the correct tension on the cam chain. It is not supposed to be turned. Its fully automatic and there is nothing you can do to "adjust" it, but you can mess up its auto function.

Earl

Originally posted by cheferic
          Hello, new to the forum, new to motorcycles. I just got a 1985 GS300L,and I'm just starting to get to know it. Here's the question- On the right side on the top of the case and below the carb, there's a spring-loaded turn button. What is it? (Don't laugh, although I'm sure I should know this!!) Thanks!
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
          X