Basic Spark Plug Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Spark Plug Questions

Most of the knowledge I have in regards to vehicle maintenance is thanks to this site and the people inhabiting it. That being said, I'm still an idiot.

Should I be adjusting the gap of the new spark plugs I buy? I'm using the NGK's that are recommended for the bike. Also, should I be using anti-seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the top?

Thanks,
    Mike

yes, its a good idea to set the gaps on new spark plugs. I think factory gaps are about 30 thou, which may or may not be correct for your ignition system.

I dont use any anti seize on plug threads. I do start them into the head with my fingers. Its nearly impossible to cross thread a plug with two fingers and exert enough force to strip/damage threads. Once started smoothly, I use the plug wrench. Keep in mind, the plugs only need to be tight enough to compress the compression washer on them plus an additional SLIGHT snug down. There is NO reason to install plugs gorilla tight unless you enjoy helicoiling new threads into your cylinder heads. :-) I dont use any grease on top either.

Earl

Originally posted by UncleMike
    Most of the knowledge I have in regards to vehicle maintenance is thanks to this site and the people inhabiting it. That being said, I'm still an idiot.

Should I be adjusting the gap of the new spark plugs I buy? I'm using the NGK's that are recommended for the bike. Also, should I be using anti-seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the top?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks,
      Mike

I absolutely would use anti-seize compound. If you ever lost threads in an aluminum head, you'd understand. The dielectric grease isn't as necessary, and get crude all over everything.

As for the gap, I always set it.

Comment

So,...how do I set the gap? Do I need special tools?

Comment

Anti seize certainly isnt going to hurt anything. Probably a good idea one tends to be heavy handed mechanically. With finger threading and snug, I've never stripped a plug. Sometimes, if I have a plug that threads in a little stiff, I will use the anti seize.

Earl

Originally posted by Energizer Bunny
          I absolutely would use anti-seize compound. If you ever lost threads in an aluminum head, you'd understand. The dielectric grease isn't as necessary, and get crude all over everything.

As for the gap, I always set it.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

All I use is a feeler guage and my wooden bench top. I just tap the electrode end of the spark plug on my wood bench, which taps the electrode gap closed, then pull a feeler guage through it to open it to the gap I want.

Earl

So,...how do I set the gap? Do I need special tools?

Comment

Great. I'll pick up one of these "feeler gauges" you speak of tomorrow.

Comment

I like to use a SPARK PLUG GAP WIRE GAUGE made especially for plug gapping. They include electrode adjustment tools so that it isn't necessary to tap the electrode on anything to narrow the gap.

Comment

I find the wire tools much easier. Not neccessary. Also I alway check the gaps, but they seem to be good most of the time.

Comment

Certainly you can buy special tools for gapping spark plugs. You can also do the job with nothing more than a feeler guage. Your engine isnt going to know the difference between a plug gapped by a million dollar computerized gapping machine and a grey haired midget with a squint. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Boondocks
                    I like to use a SPARK PLUG GAP WIRE GAUGE made especially for plug gapping. They include electrode adjustment tools so that it isn't necessary to tap the electrode on anything to narrow the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                      Certainly you can buy special tools for gapping spark plugs. You can also do the job with nothing more than a feeler guage. Your engine isnt going to know the difference between a plug gapped by a million dollar computerized gapping machine and a grey haired midget with a squint. :-)

Earl
                      What about a computerized midget?

Comment

Very well put Earl..

Scud

Comment

I think it depends on if he's union or not

Comment

I think they call those holograms. :-) My understanding is that holographic
                            midgets are limited to gapping holographic spark plugs. eheheh

Earl

What about a computerized midget?

Comment

The wire tools probably are easier. It occurs to me that if one finds gapping a spark plug a difficult mechanical experience, then perhaps wrenching on an engine is not the best of choices. LOL ehehehehehe

Earl

Originally posted by Llamaguy
                              I find the wire tools much easier. Not neccessary. Also I alway check the gaps, but they seem to be good most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X