Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature Set-up for Carbs

Hi all;
    This is a general question I had a thought about.

We all know that when your sync'ing and adjusting your carbs...elevation ( height above sea level) has an impact...correct ??

8O What about ambient temperature ?? For example, if you tune your carbs in the dead of winter... 32 deg far. or less, as opposed to the mid-summer, say 85-90 deg. can this have an impact on the tune of your engine ???.
    So...if you tune in the winter...but then ride in the summer will you notice any performance differences ?? :? :?

Thanks for any imput.

Ride Tall...Sebby

Its possible, I have noticed on my voyager, that has both fuel injection and a fuel flow computer (trip computer) is getting around 4 less miles per gallon, now that it has cooled off around here.

cold dense air requires more fuel than hot thin air, so a bike tuned in winter might be a little rich in summer.
    my G also shows all the symptoms of running lean in the winter till it gets good and warmed up.

Comment

Focus;
      So then, conversly, a bike tuned in the summer would run leaner in the winter... Right ?? 8O
      I notice too, my bike cracks with a bit more power during the cooler weather, a little less in hot weather. I've actually noticed this change takes place around 80 deg far.
      There are other reasons I'm sure...but I believe tune-in temperature has an impact as well.

Comment

It's pretty moderate here in Oregon all year long, but when we do get extreme temps there is a noticeable difference in how crisp my bikes run. Try to avoid jetting in extreme high or low temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebby
          Focus;
          So then, conversly, a bike tuned in the summer would run leaner in the winter... Right ?? 8O
          I notice too, my bike cracks with a bit more power during the cooler weather, a little less in hot weather. I've actually noticed this change takes place around 80 deg far.
          There are other reasons I'm sure...but I believe tune-in temperature has an impact as well.
          Normally this is not a problem for gasolin engines, other then in the warm up phase.

As Simon wrote the density of the air is different if the temp. is colder and if you run a diesel engine you can notice the difference, due to that the power is in direct connection to how much air you can supply.

For a gasoline engine the lambda value = relation air/fuel is relevant the bike could run a little bit lean if the wheather is cold, but again I have drove carburetter cars in temps down to -43 C (I remember the temp. because thats my low temp. record) = -45 F and the car ran pretty much as normal.

I had some other problems with the car, but not then the engine was warm.

Comment

Working...
          X