GS 450T tire questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450T tire questions

My rear is toast, popped on the interstate and started coming apart. :shock: The good Lord was watching out for me though, I'd just slowed down from 75 mph to about 30 b/c of traffic when it went! [-o<Got it off the highway safe and sound.

I'm having trouble finding the same size replacement though, I've got a Kenda Challenger on the front and want to match it on the rear. Problem is my tire is a 110/90/17 and the closest I can find is a 130/90/17. This is going to be signficantly wider isn't it? Will it fit? Anybody tried running one this wide on a 450T? Bueller?

Hi Mark, That is the tire I'm running on my gs1000. The tire is about 5 inches wide and I have something like 3/4 inch clearance on each side. I think you would be ok with clearances of 3/8 inch or possibly a little less on each side. Hope this is of some help. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Thanks Ray, I'm going to try taking some measurements and see what I can get away with. Once I'm up and running again we need to see about organizing a Colorado ride, I didn't have the bike in good enough shape to make the "fall colors" ride last year, but look forward to meeting some fellow GSers!

Mark

Comment

bald/racing slick on my 450T

Mark...dang you read my mind! My tire is definitly set to go, (after I get the whole R/R figured out). I couldn't find my tire size on a preliminary search, but let us know what you decide on 130 vs the 110...

btw, what's T vs. E,L,S?

Comment

Originally posted by maparker
          My rear is toast, popped on the interstate and started coming apart. :shock: The good Lord was watching out for me though, I'd just slowed down from 75 mph to about 30 b/c of traffic when it went! [-o<Got it off the highway safe and sound.

I'm having trouble finding the same size replacement though, I've got a Kenda Challenger on the front and want to match it on the rear. Problem is my tire is a 110/90/17 and the closest I can find is a 130/90/17. This is going to be signficantly wider isn't it? Will it fit? Anybody tried running one this wide on a 450T? Bueller?
          If you're looking for an inexpensive replacement tire, you can get a IRC DUROTOUR RS310 110/90H-17 REAR for $51.13 plus shipping. I would go with the stock size and not use an oversize tire.

Comment

Originally posted by motosikal
            btw, what's T vs. E,L,S?
            Different model/frame designations for the same motor, The E and S share many components, seat, and I believe frame, the L and T same deal, the seats are interchangeable, as are handle bars. I've been told that the "T" was supposed to stand for touring, not sure if that's true or not though. I'm sure there's plenty of people on here that can chime in with more information than I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
              If you're looking for an inexpensive replacement tire, you can get a IRC DUROTOUR RS310 110/90H-17 REAR for $51.13 plus shipping. I would go with the stock size and not use an oversize tire.
              Hey thanks! I've had a heck of a time finding any tire in that size, this IRC is the one that was on the bike when I bought it and I always thought it was OK so that is probably what I'll go with....Anybody in the Denver area got a set-up to mount tires?

Comment

Hi Mark, I just use cheap, Chinese made tire irons from Rocky Mtn Kawasaki, any bike shop should have them, maybe Harbor Freight. Not real hard to do, worst part is getting the old, tired, hardened tire off the rim. Remounting the new tire use diswashing soap, balance on the axle using stick on weights. Ray
                "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
                X