no running lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no running lights

i've got an 83 450L and the other day the running lights simply stopped working (that is, the headlight and taillight that are always on)

hi beam works, brake light works (ie. taillight comes on when i hit the brakes)
    i've checked both head and tail light bulbs and they're both fine. checked the bike's one fuse and that's fine. both front and rear signals still work, dash lights still work. bike starts and rides just fine with no drop in battery power so i'm pretty sure it's not a battery/stator issue. i've run some deoxit through the hi/lo beam switch (altho i don't think this switch would cause a fault in the taillight, but i'm considering pulling it off and giving it a thorough once-over)

i've been through a dozen searches of the forums and it looks like my only option at this point is to get a voltmeter and start checking wires. justed wanted to fire off a post and see if anyone had any brilliant ideas before i yank my seat and tank off

I am not specifiaclly familiar with the exact wiring of a 450, but would think not too much different than others.

So, you say tha the low beam doesnt work but high beam does. And you say the tail light doesnt work but the brake light does. I would think that the problem with the low beam and the problem with the tail light are each seperate problems.

For the low beam: THe high beam works, then we know the ground for headlight isnt the problem, must be a good ground or else neither light would work. I would say that, yah, get a volt meter and see if voltage to the headlight low beam, and if so then low beam is burnt out. If no voltage at the low beam, then problem at switch.

For the tail light: The brake light works, then we know the ground for the tail/brake light must be okay. Check for voltage at tail light with a meter, or try another bulb.

{ if anybody else does know the specifics of the 450 wiring, and if there is something commom to the low beam and the tail light (but not high beam and brakeLight), feel free to correct me }

Lets us know how it goes.
    Last edited by Redman; 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

looks like the bulbs were both bad. kinda wierd that they'd both go at once. replacement bulbs on each end and i'm back on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by downneck
        looks like the bulbs were both bad. kinda wierd that they'd both go at once. replacement bulbs on each end and i'm back on the road!
        Not really as with no low beam on the output voltage increased greatly and added current consumed your only remaining consant load. I bet your
        tail light was bright for a while.

Comment

Working...
        X