Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New stock coils

Greetings,

So I bought these brand new stock coils to replace the bad one on my 1980 GS550L. Unfortunately, they don't come with spark plug boots. Can anyone tell me how to get the old boots off of the orginal coils and onto the new ones? Is that possible or do I need to buy new boots too?

Thanks,
    Josh

The spark plug boots unscrew. (counterclockwise to remove)

Earl

Originally posted by z-dna
    Greetings,

So I bought these brand new stock coils to replace the bad one on my 1980 GS550L. Unfortunately, they don't come with spark plug boots. Can anyone tell me how to get the old boots off of the orginal coils and onto the new ones? Is that possible or do I need to buy new boots too?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Just do what earl said...

or since you have brand new coils, you might as well head to a bike shop and bike up a new set. they're usually only a few bucks and you wont have to worry about using old parts
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Thanks! I feel confident that the original boots will work, but I will look into the new ones. I appreciate the quick help!

Josh

Comment

When you remove the old spark plug boots, you can check them for resistance with a multimeter. Each boot should show 5K ohms resistance. (5000 ohms)

Earl

Originally posted by z-dna
          Thanks! I feel confident that the original boots will work, but I will look into the new ones. I appreciate the quick help!

Josh
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X