replacement start switch (non-GS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacement start switch (non-GS)

Hey could any tell me where I could find a replacement start switch for my KZ? I tried Bike Bandit and eBay but both yielded nothing useable.

What do you mean "start switch"? You mean starter button, or starter relay, or??

Earl

Originally posted by GSJoe
    Hey could any tell me where I could find a replacement start switch for my KZ? I tried Bike Bandit and eBay but both yielded nothing useable.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Starter button. That thing you press to start the bike.

Comment

I wont say that a starter button cant go bad, but I've never seen one fail.
        Usually, its the starter solenoid that goes bad. Under the left side panel, you will see the starter solenoid and on its top there is a small (usually green/yellow)
        wire soldered. I would take a multimeter, hold the red probe to the solder connection and the black probe to ground and turn the ignition on and press the starter button. If the meter shows voltage when you press the starter buttton, the problem is the solenoid and not the button. If there is no voltage when you press the button with the ignition switched on, then its the button. I dont think the button and spring assembly is available separately from the switch assembly.

Earl

Starter button. That thing you press to start the bike.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Well if the solenoid is what I think it is, then that's what I have been shorting to start the bike.

Comment

To "short" the solenoid, you're connecting the two BIG terminals. The small wire on top is the signal wire that activates the solenoid when you press the starter button.

Earl

Well if the solenoid is what I think it is, then that's what I have been shorting to start the bike.

Comment

If you have been shorting the solenoid to start the bike, then you either have an open circuit in the starter button wiring or the starter button is malfunctioning. The starter button is a "momentary contact switch", and the switch contacts could be corroded enough to prevent a circuit to activate the starter solenoid.

I would try to take the switch apart and inspect the contacts, spring, etc.. If jumping the wires going into the switch (ignition on) activates the solenoid, you know the wiring is OK and the switch is at fault. When disassembling the switch, I would recommend that you put it inside a large plastic bag just in case. Sometimes small parts and springs fly out of a disassembled switch and may be lost. If the contacts are corroded, file them clean with an ignition file or fine sandpaper and spray them with contact cleaner.

If the switch is not repairable and you can't find a replacement right away, you may be able to adapt something like the SPST Normally Off Pushbutton Momentary Contact Switch. Although this switch is only $1, shipping is $7 so unless you need more electrical parts it may be better to look at Radio Shack Momentary Switches if there is a store in your area.

You could also check with Jeff Saunders at Z1 Enterprises Kawasaki KZ550-C1 1980 Parts. He is a member of these forums, and Z1 specializes in parts for old bikes like your Kawasaki. If he doesn't have the part in stock, he may know how to get one for you.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Replacement switch

I replaced one in a cb550 that went bad.. used the Radio Shack normally open momentary contact push button... soldered it in and it worked like a champ.

This is the cheapest way to replace one.. suzuki wanted the entire right assembly when all i needed was a cover that everything screwed into.. otherwise check the bone yards... google for bates used parts in Dallas/Garland TX.. they do ship used parts..

Joe "JP"

Comment

DO a little checking first with a volt meter. Could be the start button, Clutch saftey switch, wiring, Start soloniod
                  The GS Tracing back start soloniod / clutch switch to start/ run/stop switch to fuse block
                  Check for 12 VDC

Comment

Yeah I already took apart the switch and it did look pretty corroded so I guess the R/S thing is the best idea right now. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                    X