Seating plugs 1 & 4 - tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seating plugs 1 & 4 - tips

I had no problem removing all of the plugs on the KZ but putting them in has been a whole nother story. The inner plugs, 2 & 3, went in just fine. The outers (1 & 4). however, are being a real PITA. They are refusing to seat properly and with every attempt I am afraid that I am stripping the damn things more and more. I am so mad right now cause I see all these bikes riding by (it's 75 here) and I can't even do something as simple as changing the plugs.

The plugs should thread in pretty easy, if you are having trouble use a little anti-seize. If I think I've munged up some threads, I pull the plug out, get the shop vac and hold the hose over the hole and use a 90 degree pick and scrape the threads a little back and forth trying to clean out any grit or shavings that might be in the threads. Do not force the plugs back in unless you plan on keeping those plugs installed forever (or at least until you need to pull the barrels).
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I once stripped the threads of the spark plug hole for my 1977 Honda XL350. I was really worried that it would be hell to repair.
      I worried for nothing - it was easy to fix.
      I got the spark plug hole repair kit from heli-coil (make sure you get the right one), and now the bike runs even better than it did before (I guess it's got better compression now). I didn't have to remove the head or do any drilling. Use grease on the tapping tool.
      The trick is to tap a couple of threads at a time, back the tap out, clean the chips off the tool, re-grease and then repeat this as many times as necessary. I don't think much of the chips (if any at all) fell into the head. The grease catches it all up pretty well if you frequently re-grease the tapping tool.

Comment

I don't think much of the chips (if any at all) fell into the head. The grease catches it all up pretty well if you frequently re-grease the tapping tool.
        Truth be told, if any chips fall in the cylinder it probably gets blown out the exhaust on the first stroke anyway.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have one plug that is going to need rethreading next time it is changed,
          I got a spark plug rethreading kit from JC Whitney

Comment

Well I got number four in as tight as it would go even though it looks like it is still pretty far out - probably just the odd angle (I'm guessing 45 degrees) it sits at. Number 1 is stripped and the local Kawaski dealer reccomended an industrial machine shop to have a helicoil kit made at. I hope they are open tommorrow!

As it turns out, the whole problem in the first place was the thickness of the socket I was using. I had to drive all over the place just to find a thinner one that worked for four.

All in all, today was just a bad day for me. I screwed up my bike, didn't get to ride, and my truck was having all kinds of problems - Once I had to have a group of people push start the thing for me and another time I had to do it myself. I sure hope that tommorrow is a better day! :???:

Comment

Well it seems that it is going to be too expensive to get a thread kit and also a drill so I might take it to local shop who said they can do it for as little as $45.

Comment

For those with 14mm plugs Check www.jcwhitney.com
                part # GM144235 Rethreading kit $12.99

Comment

Thanks but unfortunately mine are 12mm. I'm not too sure, but I think they are the same as the ones on the GS.

Comment

Well my buddy Em came over this past and managed to get the plug in with out me having to spend any money on fixing the socket. I was able to get it running enough to take it for a "quick" shakedown run.

Comment

Working...
                    X