Secondary Drive Bearings-- Please Help Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondary Drive Bearings-- Please Help Me

I've got an '82 GS1100 G with bad secondary drive bearings. They are the bearings inside the gear assembly behind a panel on the left side of the transmission just before the shaft to the back wheel.

Last summer, I had a strange vibration and humming sound comming from that area whenever I rode the bike. I took it to a local shop, and the only logical conclusion was that the something was wrong with the seconday drive gearing. I pulled it apart (my fatal mistake,) and the bearings within the assembly were definately bad-- they grind when turned.

The local shop said that it would be around 900 dollars for labor alone to fix the problem. He said that it was nescesary to shim the assembly from both sides which required in depth transmission work. I took it to the dealer, and they quoted me just over 1000 dollars to fix it...

I am not about to pour a grand into a motorcycle I just bought for 1500 bucks. What I want to know is if there is any way to replace those bearings and safely put it back together without shimming it from the tranny side.

Please help!

First, get a clymers or genuine Suzuki manual. the parts most likely bad are the ones that come out without dissassembling the tranny. you will need to read up on it before you attempt it. Look in junkyards as well. the bearings are still available from suzuki.

Comment

It definately is the bearings.... and I can get the parts, it is the instalation that presents a problem. I have a clymer manual for the bike, and it doesnt even cover shimming this part. It reccomments bringing the bike to the dealer for service.

Comment

It's bs just to replace the bearings You reuse the original shims. You should be fine. THE ONLY time you need to shim is with NEW gears. If you get a used set of gears start with the shims from the replacement

Comment

You will need the bearings, and a new O-ring for the rearmost-part. You will also have to loosen the case bolts around the part to remove it, it is a slight crush-fit, and will usually need to be loosened in order to remove it.

Comment

I think that is what JonR replaced a few weeks ago, search for his postings, his posting had a few pictures also.

Here, found it
            This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
            Last edited by Redman; 03-31-2006, 10:27 PM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

JEEZ!!! what a scam!!!
              A grand and take tranny apart?? run away!!!

Lynn is right, you should be just fine with the original shims, the bearings are a very precise part so the deminsions should end up just fine with just replacing the bearings.

if you replaced all 4 bearings in the final drive and the output seal using factory parts (the expensive way) you are looking at well under $200 in parts, over $800 for six hours labor (very slow mechanic) is highway robbery.

Comment

Working...
              X