Starting Problem 87 GS300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ntjoe
    I think I have isolated the problem. I pulled the carbs apart and it appears that I didnt do as good a job as I thought I did in cleaning them out. I didnt look at the carb series on the main page for this site, and missed some things when I took it apart. For example, the pilot jets, while looking slightly different, are completely stopped up on the end holes.

Right now the carbs are in pieces soaking. We'll see how she does when shes back together.
    That would do it and it is likely your problem.

Comment

OK, last question, I hope...

The pilot jets are very different from the ones in the carb rebuild page...

I dont have a camera right now but they look like little machine gun ends on top but the bottoms are identical to the ones in the carb rebuild page.

However, they are completely stopped right past the ends with all the holes if that makes any sense. I cant tell if its supposed to be like that. I have tried to use wire to break thru it with no luck. So I put it back together like that. Now when she starts (still using starting fluid), the exhaust for the right side never gets hot, and I know thats the main carb, so it sounds like no fuel, but there is fuel in the bowl. Do I need to punch thru that pilot jet or is it supposed to be like that. This time when I rebuilt the carbs I made sure all the passages were clear.

Hopefully this is my last question!

Thanks, Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ntjoe
        OK, last question, I hope...

The pilot jets are very different from the ones in the carb rebuild page...

I dont have a camera right now but they look like little machine gun ends on top but the bottoms are identical to the ones in the carb rebuild page.

However, they are completely stopped right past the ends with all the holes if that makes any sense. I cant tell if its supposed to be like that. I have tried to use wire to break thru it with no luck. So I put it back together like that. Now when she starts (still using starting fluid), the exhaust for the right side never gets hot, and I know thats the main carb, so it sounds like no fuel, but there is fuel in the bowl. Do I need to punch thru that pilot jet or is it supposed to be like that. This time when I rebuilt the carbs I made sure all the passages were clear.

Hopefully this is my last question!

Thanks, Joe
        If there is only one port at the mouth of the carb for the jet then it should be open. I have RS flatslides on my bike and there are a couple of ports. One has the typical pilot and one just has a plug in it. Air has to get through so that it can pick up fuel and carry it to the pilot screw where you fine tune the low rpm range.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          If there is only one port at the mouth of the carb for the jet then it should be open. I have RS flatslides on my bike and there are a couple of ports. One has the typical pilot and one just has a plug in it. Air has to get through so that it can pick up fuel and carry it to the pilot screw where you fine tune the low rpm range.
          Well it all appears to be fixed (hope I dont jinx myself). I managed to get one of the pilot jets cleaned out and installed it in the right carb. Now the bike starts and runs great. THe pilot jet in the left carb is still stopped up, and nothing I do will clean it out. I have ordered a new one from bikebandit.com, but in the meantime it runs good. It could use some more tuning, a friend who has more bike knowledge will help me next weekend.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the power, but again, it needs a tune and is only a 300, and I'm about 5'11", 220. I've only had it up to about 40 when I went to the gas station to top it off, and it still wanted to go, so maybe I'm judging too quickly. I imagine this bike will be a good one for me to learn on, then make a step up to a 750 or something down the line.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

When both carbs are running right you can synch them without guages. One carb will have and individual idle speed adjuster and one will just work off the throttle stop. Crank the throttle stop up a little so the bike idles high. Then remove the plug from the cylinder that has the individual adjuster. Then start the bike and let it run on the one cylinder. Set the mixture screw for the highest smoothest idle. Take note of the idle speed then stop the bike and replace the removed plug wire. Then remove the other plug wire and restart the bike. Adjust the other mixture screw and set the idle with the individual adjuster to match the other cylinder. After you're done you'll need to idle the bike down.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
              you are welcome!!!

if you ever get the desire to put a front disc brake on it, the forks and wheel for a GS 250 should bolt right up.
              Thanks for the note about the disc brake conversion .. I have a GS300L and would like to upgrade the brakes sometime.

Comment

Take is easy on the starting fluid. It will break down the oil on your cylinder walls and you have your rings bearing directly on the cylinder walls without oil protection causing undue acellerated wear on your bores and rings. Check you plugs and see how they read, if they look good (light tan) you may have an ignition problem. Tom

Comment

Working...
                X