Carb Tips '79 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Tips '79 GS550

I bought this bike last winter and have been using it as a learning experience maintenance wise. I bought the Clymer manual and have been re-wiring and re-building all year.

My current problem is the carbs. There weren't any hoses connected to them when I bought it except the one going directly to the fuel petcock. The Clymer manual is useless here because I guess it assumes you should already know how many hoses and where they go. When I put gas in the tank, it pours out the bottom of the middle two carbs.

I guess what I need, if someone would oblige, is some pics of the the routes of the hoses that connect to the carburetors. Either that, or a really good description.

Thanks much,
    Dunny

PS, these are the stock Mikuni carbs.

Rebuild the petcock.

If gas is coming out of the tank you will need to rebuild the petcock. The gas is only supposed to come out when the vacume line lets it. You shoud have a vacume line, a fuel supply line, and vent lines between the carbs. My bike has 4 carbs, and it has 2 vent lines. The vent lines just hang down behind the air box. they do not hook up to anything.

Comment

Are you missing the nut on the bottom of one of your carbs? You said it was coming out of the bottom and there is a drain on the bottom of the float bowl.

Steve

Comment

Good point about the petcock, to what should the vacuum line be connected? It's currently hanging loose with a machine screw in the end of it.

I'll check to see if I'm missing a nut on my carbs, thanks for the tip.

Each carb has a little, I don't know the correct label, nipple hanging off of the bottom. This is where the fuel leaks from. From some of the pictures in the Clymer I know that at least a couple of them should have hoses connected, but I can't tell where the other end is supposed to go. Are these the vent hoses you mentioned?

I can't believe I was able to drive the thing home the day I bought it.

-Dunny

Comment

The nipples at the bottom are overflow tubes that normally are above the level of the gas in the bowls. Leaking from them indicates either the floats are set wrong or the needle valves are not seating and shutting off the gas. It does sound like you have a petcock problem also. On my wife's 550E the hoses attached to the nipples just go down and dump on the ground. Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

Working...
          X