Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb cleaning...

Hi everyone...

I'm getting ready to start cleaning my carbs..and checked out the section on the site on the step-by-step in doing so...

My question is, it shows the guy spraying parts before and after the chem-dip...I don't think it ever says what the spray is...is that just a carb cleaner in a spray form?

Thanks.

likely, tho it can also help to just have compressed air.

are you using the dip? got all your new orings? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
      likely, tho it can also help to just have compressed air.

are you using the dip? got all your new orings? ;-)
      the bike has not been run for a couple years...
      is there an alternative to using the dip? im just going by what the instructions said.

i dont even know what orings are...im a newbie and this is the first project im going to take on...im still gathering the info for everything before i start...

what are the orings and why wouldnt i keep the ones that would already be there?

Comment

the orings in there will be all flattened out, varnished etc, and the dip will dissolve any rubber it contacts, as will carb cleaners, I think.

either way, some will break or get nicked as you take them off, so you want spares.

now that I've scared you ;-) there's a great source for new sets from cycleorings.com! Robert Barr, a member here, has assembled a complete set of all the orings you'll need, good nitrile, and sized to fit our bikes perfectly!! most of the other sets online are sub-par. he even has the extra air screw set (get it!) for that tiny little one that all teh sets miss!! and for an ubelieveable price to boot!!

these rings, along with a gallon can of berrymans' carb dip, and you'll have the cleanest carbs money and elbow grease can buy!

one tip, don't leave the carb bodies in the dip overnight, the little epoxy bits that seal plugged openings will come out too. don't know that it hurts, but they probably used them for a reason!

good luck, and keep at it, once you get this part done you'll be well on your way to a well restored bike!!

Comment

Spend the twelve bucks or whatever and get the o-rings. I found out the hard way (well, not that hard, a leak or two). Since you've got it apart stick them in there. Its easy and cheap and saves time.

Here's a link to a site that sells excatly what you need: http://www.cycleorings.com/
          Get the package that fits your bike.

Comment

oh, and while you're at it, search on manifold gaskets, the orings between the rubber carb openings and the engine block get old and crack, leads to annoyingly hard to id problems! may as well replace those, macmatic has sets also.

Comment

Working...
            X