Sidecar on '80 GS850G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sidecar on '80 GS850G?

I have been offered a FREE Russian Sidecar. Would my '80 GS850G be the right bike to mount it to? Anyone have a GS with a sidecar on the forum? What should I look for, what do I need?

No doubt the 850 could Handle it. As to the Hardware Etc. to Mount it that's a Whole Other Can of Worms, Can't help You There.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

You know, a sidecar is the one thing I haven't yet seen or heard of on a GS.

But the 850 should haul it just fine. The frame and drivetrain should be plenty strong, and shaft drive will simplify maintenance. The brakes are far better than most bikes of the early '80s, too -- a GS850 makes a great pack mule, and should make a fine sidecar rig.

We definitely need to see pictures as the project proceeds!
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you run across any more free side hacks, throw it my way! I would love to build a side car rig to take the kids and dog out for rides. BTW, the 850 will be a great base for a hack. There was one around here last year on a nighthawk 750, and I know the 850 has more oomph than that bike, not to mention the shaft drive!

Check out http://www.sidecar.com/

Comment

Working...
        X