High end bogging problem.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High end bogging problem.....

Well, after getting the bike back together from my wreck and installing the jet kit etc etc etc. It STILL acts like it is running out of gas at 7000+ RPM.

I have installed the richest jet in the dynojet kit (160) and it made absolutly no difference what so ever in solving my problem. I also installed a Pingel petcock and new fuel line.

It is driving me crazy. The bike runs great and pulls really strong up untill 7000 RPM and then it acts like it ran out of gas (this is a full throttle blast) if I try and ease it above 7000 ( half throttle or so) it will start hesitating and surging. Going from the stock petcock to the Pingel made no difference, installing the jet kit then later installing the larger jets in the kit made no difference what so ever.

I cannot get any kind of a plug chop above 7000 because it litterally acts like it just ran out of gas. Anything below 7000 RPM the bike runs absolutly great.

Is there something I am missing?

Any help anyone can give me would be absolutly great.

Thanks in advance.

Check the tank vent in the gas cap ? You shouldn't need the richest jets

Comment

I actually pulled that apart while I was putting it back together from the wreck. Everything seemed OK with it. It wasnt all gummed up or anything.

Comment

Sure sounds like fuel starvation. Either poor venting or lack of fuel in the mixture. List what you've done to repair this.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

do you have an in-line fuel filter and how big is it, I have had a similar problem caused by a fuel filter that only had a 1/16" inlet and outlet. Also a partially blocked fuel filter will do the same.

Comment

Sounds like fuel vents or to lean float setting. Do you have the fuel line kinked at all? Hows fuel flow when line isn't attached? If you are running a Dyno Kit remove vent hoses. Ask Keith about mini cyclones.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

check this

Was the air box damaged? A little air leak will cause havvock.

Comment

Check your coil wires .I had a misfire only at high rpms [7000-9000]. Went through the carbs changed jets and needles about ten times nothing changed .Ran great at low rpms though leading to believe it was jetting related. Finally found a broken coil wire.

Comment

Alrighty. About 6 months ago I changed the head gasket so while I was at it I went ahead and went through the top end. Basically all I did was clean the head up, make sure everything was alright, and put it back together. I did not do any valve job or anything, just cleaned everything up and put it back together (I vaccum checked all the valves and they were all sealing up great). After I put it all back together this problem began. I went back and rebuilt the carbs with a K&L kit, cleaned everything up, and set the floats per the suzuki specs (to the top of the round part of the float, not the flat part). Put it back together and the problem was still there. I then got a Dynojet kit and a Pingel petcock. I put the leaner of the 2 jets in first, still no change to my problem. I then put the richer of the 2 jets in and still no change. I also took the tank vent apart and checked it, everything was great with it, so I put it back together........still no change. The ONLY thing fuel/carb related I havent done is sync the carbs, however I never messed with any of the linkage in anyway other than hooking up the throttle cable, this is something I am waiting to do once I figure this problem out.

There was one thing I did notice while putting in the Dynojet kit, the original jet I took out which was in it when I got the bike had a physically larger head on it than the jets in the dynojet kit. Is there a difference between the large head and the small head jets? Is one richer than the other with the same number?

I have not checked anything in the way of ignition, as far as I know they are stock. It acts exactly like it is running out of gas (this was why I put a Pingel petcock on it).

Anyway, today I took it on a 100 mile round trip. Cruising it is perfect, even if I half throttle it up to around 7000 it SEEMS to do alright. But if I just flat hammer it in first gear it hits a brick wall right at 7000. I cannot get a plug chop at that speed due to the fact that it just flat will not run. Everywhere else it show to be pretty rich but it isnt fouling plugs. I have just been running it on the rich side untill I can figure this problem then I will go back and mess with everything else.

Also, I do not have a filter, I have removed the vent hoses, I have EMGO pods on it, and again, I havent messed with the ignition at all.

Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Did you have the pods/jet kit on it before the wreck?
                    If not, I'd say the pods/jet kit are the real culprit.
                    There are many who've spent weeks trying to get the pod/jet kit combo to work and then just switch back to stock.
                    If you have the stock airbox and carb components, try them. If things drastically improve, you'll know what's what.

Comment

Chris,

I still have an airbox WITH A FILTER for you if your interested.

Duane
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I had a similiar problem with my stock GS1000. Being the bike was stock allowed me to eliminate any major carb issues quite quickly. Like yours mine was hitting a brick wall at around 7,000 rpm in any gear as yours seems to be doing. Anyway, mine turned out to be a bad coil that was crapping out at 7,000 rpm under heavy load. At 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in the lower gears it would pull to red line but as soon as I gave it full throttle over 7,000 it would fall flat on two cylinders. It turned out to be weak spark on one coil. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth because I know how frustrating this can be. Good Luck.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy
                          mine turned out to be a bad coil that was crapping out at 7,000 rpm under heavy load. At 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in the lower gears it would pull to red line but as soon as I gave it full throttle over 7,000 it would fall flat on two cylinders. It turned out to be weak spark on one coil.
                          I was gonna suggest a electrical problem, I have learned quite a bit about this in the past week. Make sure you thoroughly test the charging system, and have a battery that rests at 12.7 volts or better. Check your voltage drop at the coils.

Another thing to try is getting the bike to act up and applying a the choke lever. If that makes it pull harder, then you are still running lean.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Alrighty, to start with, yes, the bike had pods before I owned it. It did not have the jet kit but it seemed to run fine. It was after I rebuilt the engine that it started this problem.

After doing a little more riding I tried to just ease it up there using as little throttle as I could.....it was still hesitating slightly, however I was able to make it past 7000 RPM but as soon as I would give it full throttle it would start acting up again. This sounds alot like what you are talking about Sandy, therefore I am going to going to try the coil/electrical route to see if I am having any problems in that area. What is the best way/How do you test the coils? If indeed I am having problems then what ohm coils do I need to replace them (I will go with dyna if I have to replace them). What else electrical can I check and how?

Thanks again for everyones help on this, I really appreciate it.

P.S. Duane, if I cannot get this resolved, I will be giving you a call about the airbox. Thank you.

Comment

I've also got a few sets of tested coils....
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X