Oil additive query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil additive query

Has anyone used Lucas Oil in their bike? I use it in an old car with good results. It says for use in motors,transmissions,etc. These GS motors aren't getting any younger, so any help is a plus,right? I know it will help the motor, but will it make the clutch slip?

I dont even know what Lucas oil is :? :? --please post some information on the item

Comment

Not worth it. Nothing more than a relabled STP.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
        Not worth it. Nothing more than a relabled STP.
        then for sure the bloody bikes wont shift into first

Comment

Here's my take on it. Any product that makes the oil THICKER can't possibly be good. Remember, we have air.oil cooled motors, if the oil isn't able to get into ever nook and cranny in the motor, then it isn't being properly cooled. I would say get that crap out of your motor now before you do some serious damage.

BTW, for those of you that don't know what Lucas Oil additive is. It's sold a lot through the auto parts stores here in the North East US. They have it on display usually with dome gears you can turn my had. One side has regular motor oil (weight and viscosity unknown), the other side has the lucas crap. The regular oul, of course coats all the gears when you turn the crank, but goes right back to the bottom when you are done. The Lucan crap stays stuck to the gears for a long time and never settles back to the bottom. Which leads me to my next question. If your oil is stuck all ofver thye opper parts of your motor, what is your oil pump picking up to lubricate and cool your GS's motor?

Comment

I use the stuff in my old car, it mixes with regular oil @ 75% oil, 25% Lucas. Shouldn't interfere with the cooling, but valid point. I was more concerned with it messing up the clutch plates. I haven't used it in a bike, but says can be.

Comment

better safe than sorry...I wouldn't use it in mine....just my H.O.

Comment

I wouldn't use it in my Hybrid GK either! Just oil, at the right level, changed often. That's all our GS's need.

Nick

Comment

Making oil thick and sticky is a simple thing. Pumping that stuff thru narrow bits is the challenge.

Comment

If it is STP DON"T USE IT. A friend of mine once put STP in his dirt bike and the clutch started slipping immediately.
                    Axel

Comment

The best thing about STP was the stickers everybody had on their cars back in the 60s! (stood for 'small town prostitute!) Like race car owner Andy Granitelli said back in the 60s "I always put a can of STP in my cars." And he did...in the TRUNK...but never in the engine!

Comment

Ok, does anyone use a preferred oil in their GS? Bell-Ray over Valvoline?
                        Synthetic or regular? The only difference I've seen is the price.

Comment

Anything over valvoline. it has the least additives as any oil on the market. more mechanics choose it because, well, more pay outrageous prices for snap-on also. basically monkey see monkey do....just my H.O.

Comment

The most important thing you can do is change it regularly. I change mine every 1,000 miles which is probably overkill. Definitley change it before you put it away for the season. Harmful contaminants make it into the oil as byproducts of the combustion process. You don't want them eating at your bearings all winter long.

Also, change the filter EVERY time. It is false economy to change it only every other oil change.

I use Castrol GTX 10W40 in both GS's. You should be fine with any automobile oil that is not labeled "Energy Conserving"(they have friction modifiers that may cause clutch slippage in your bike).

Comment

Working...
                            X