WOW! Parts in bottom of bowl!750L!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW! Parts in bottom of bowl!750L!!!!!

Man-oh-man! I finally got the bowl off my #4 carb! As I posted last time, I couldn't get it off & it was the reason my bike caught fire a couple'a weeks ago. Anyway, I replaced the box & all hoses that melted, along w/the air filter element, new air cleaner oil! But, I couldn't get the overflowing float bowl off! Someone had really glued the sh-- out of it, but I struggled & got it! On the bottom, inside the bowl, are these 2 small baby 'lil brass looking things! 1 of 'em looks like a miniature 'lil barrel w/a hole Thu it. The other thing looks like a "peg" or a wire terminal", that's used in electronics, on a P.C board! They'd wrap small a wire around it & solder it to the peg! Or it looks like a small nail w/a ring around it, near the top! I looked at the float, & when I pushed up & down, to check to movement, it sticks at the top! It does not move up & down freely! It doesn't stick completely, all the time. But most of the time. So I know that must be the reason it was overflowing from time to time & caused my fire! I can not see anything in the middle of where the float hinges, like the 'lil needle thing that goes where the hing is located! I remember from past work on auto's that there was a little needle like deal, that was responsible for the float to move up & down! But it isn't there! I guess 1 or both the little parts on the bottom of the bowl, could be what goes to it! But do they both go there or where? If anybody knows anything about this, please feel free to lease let know! There wasn't much dirt at the bottom of the bowl, like I thought there would be. And there is plenty of that stuff they used around the gasket, though! All over the edges. I'll have to clean it off good. But the gasket looks pretty good. SO I hope I can re-use it too, as I am not w/funds or any more time! I'm waiting for my "POR-15" to come in, & I still have to clean out the tank w/the gal of acetone I have. My daughter's loaning me her hair dryer to blow dry the tank after I seal it, to cut down the time for hardening! Does anybody know if I am suppose to wash out the acetone after I clean it out? Or rinse it out w/water or what? Before I use the POR-15? Any help we be greatly appreciated! Thank you m,uch.Ron...

You found your problem, Unfortunatly it sounds like you need to find a new/used carb body to replace it

Comment

Parts in bowl!

I did find some carbs on eBay from another member! What I would like to know, though, is what they go to! I think they belong to the float hinge somewhere. there's 2 pieces & I didn't see any needle pin, or whatever it is, on the float, that makes the hinge go up & down. I went in to a bike place & the guy said it belonged to that part of the area. But said there should have been a little "O" ring there in the bottom of the float bowl, so he gave me one. What I need is for some body to let me know where & how they go back in, so I don't have to take the carbs off. I just want to put back those 2, maybe 3 little parts, & adjust the float height, & away we go! I haven't tried to make the sync tool yet, so I'm avoiding taking the carbs off as long as I can! The bike ran very well, up to fire. So I think it'll run fine again, if I can just get those parts back where they go! I don't see on the blow up picture of how they go or exactly where. Any help would be fine w/me! Thanks Ron...

Comment

This isn't very sharp but it may help.
        http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi..._id~993837.asp

This is for a TM series carb but it is clearer and may help you id the parts.
        http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/mikun.../TM33frame.htm

Comment

On the 33's it looks like it would have to be the "needle valve assembly"! Mine are VM29's, I think. The parts I have, that were at the bottom of the float bowl are a 'lil brass barrel like thing that would fit or slide-over the other part! & would stop at the bigger part of the stem, & from there, still on the shaft of the second piece, where the barrel stops, is the end of the shaft, that's smaller in circumference than the rest of the shaft. & then & then passed that, the end, which is smaller , like a pin end, that would probably go to the float bar on the hing of the float. I wish I could draw a 'lil picture of it so it could be seen, instead of my terrible description! What I can do is take the bowl apart & figure it out that way. But I thought it would be easier this way. And I didn't have the other carbs when I found these parts at the bottom of the bowl! Now, from looking up the # of the part, the "O" ring, they gave me at the bike place, the #'s are for the big flat bowl screw, w/that rubber o ring on it, ya take out to let the gas out of the bowl! I guess that's where ya hook into the carbs w/the scyn tool hose. I guess he thought he was giving me an o ring that went to inside of the float bowl, carb area somewhere!

Comment

Working...
          X