HELP!! With Murphy's Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!! With Murphy's Law

Three weeks of progress to end in complete misery. I did a carb rebuild w/ the complete set of o-rings from Robert Barr. Checked the valves. Timing. Changed the gasket of the stator cover. Lowered the bike. Put in new shocks. New throttle assembley and cables. Charged the battery. and a few other random things. AND THEN on the easiest thing I screw up big time.

I was putting on a new oil filter, to start up the bike (the final step), and I torqued one of the bolt on the oil filter cover too much. It snapped the bolt in half. The good thing is that half of he bolt is still sticking out of the engine block. What should I do!!? Are these bolts part of the engine block or can they come off? If so maybe I can tap them or something. I have a welder, and was in the process of doing a few things... but before I screwed it up even more I decided to get some advice.

Thanks again

Can you get a pair of vice grips on the stud/bolt? If so, just spin it out and get a new one.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The thing is that I don't know if these bolts are part of the engine block. They are the three studs that hold the oil cover. If they are not part of the engine block, then I should be able to pull them out with some vice grips like you said. I'm just a bit frustrated as you can imagine.
      Thanks.

Comment

They are not a part of the block, so no worryis, just screw it out and fit a new one.
        Regards
        Otto

Comment

Thanks guys. Now that I got a good nights sleep... I feel much better about the whole situation . I'll try to get it out with the vice grips, should be fine.

Comment

Wait until you snap off a float tower in the carb or strip the oil drain plug. Serious stress.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Give me time Duaneage... all I need is time... and I'm positive that that all those will happen to me (prob on the same day too). LOL.

Comment

It's not budging... is it counter screw (I doubt it but who knows). I tried the vicegrips and it is bringing what was left of the screw down to a little knub. Is there any other tricks I should try? Thanks a million.

Comment

Originally posted by bexabarr
                  It's not budging... is it counter screw (I doubt it but who knows). I tried the vicegrips and it is bringing what was left of the screw down to a little knub. Is there any other tricks I should try? Thanks a million.
                  you could try welding a nut on the end and then use a socket to get it out.Did you try tapping or popping the vise grips with a hammer instead of just pressure?

Comment

It's funny you mention it. I was thinking about welding a nut on the end all night yesterday. I think my vice grips are crap, my friend is going to stop by today with a better pair. Before I weld anything I'll try you sudgestion with the hammer. Thanks!

Comment

When all else fails (which is about 50% of the time in such scenarios) you'll need to do the drill/tap/helicoil routine. In this case the area is fairly accessible so it shouldn't be too painful, but practice on something else if you've never done it before.

Comment

I have just bought Helicoil equipment. It is great! but be carefull with the drilling part! i will recommend to try and cut with the tap after drilling it 6.0 mm instead of drillind 6.4...I found out that with Helicoil, its all about feelings in the hand and common sense.. I know it's fluffy, so what a good advice here above...try on something else first! I could have bennifitted from that one...

Comment

It's funny you mention it. I was thinking about welding a nut on the end all night yesterday. I think my vice grips are crap, my friend is going to stop by today with a better pair. Before I weld anything I'll try you sudgestion with the hammer. Thanks!
                          Take an old 5mm socket and gently hammer it onto the stud, then just turn it out with a ratchet - I just did this a few days back, worked like a charm (not so nice to the socket, but it got the job done!)

Comment

If you have a drimel you can put a new set of "teeth" on your vice grips for a better bite!

Comment

Got it!!

Hey guys, I just got back from the garage. I first tried the 5mm socket, it seemed like it was working, but then I saw that the socket and what was left of the screw were slipping (I think it would have worked fine when the screw was in the original condition). Then I welded I put some thick grease around the screw, put a bolt on the end and did some welding. My idea was that the grease would eliminate some splatter from attaching to the aluminum, and would maybe liquefy and penetrate the screw. Whether that happened or not I don't know, but after that, it came right out. If you ever have my same problem, I’d recommend the 5mm socket trick (JHawkins) before you mess with it too much. Thanks once again!

Comment

Working...
                              X