HELP!! With Murphy's Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bexabarr
    Hey guys, I just got back from the garage. I first tried the 5mm socket, it seemed like it was working, but then I saw that the socket and what was left of the screw were slipping (I think it would have worked fine when the screw was in the original condition). Then I welded I put some thick grease around the screw, put a bolt on the end and did some welding. My idea was that the grease would eliminate some splatter from attaching to the aluminum, and would maybe liquefy and penetrate the screw. Whether that happened or not I don't know, but after that, it came right out. If you ever have my same problem, I’d recommend the 5mm socket trick (JHawkins) before you mess with it too much. Thanks once again!
    Your welding the nut on the end probably heated the aluminum up around the stud which expanded quicker than bolt you were trying to get out and with the nut you had on there gave you the leverage you needed to finish the job!ANOTHER GS PROBLEM SOLVED, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm so glad I found this post. I did the same thing 2 days ago. D@mn filter cap was leaking a drop every 5 seconds. A little muscle got up to 13 secs. And a little more snapped the bolt. I have a few questions: \
      Where did you go to get a replacement stud?
      What size was it?
      Did you use lock-tight when you screwed it into the case?
      Did you replace all of the studs (so it doesn't happen again)?

Thanks for the replies,
      Damien

Comment

Working...
      X