Running on cylinders 1 and 4 help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running on cylinders 1 and 4 help!

I have just got done rebuilding my bike installed a dyna s 2.2 dyna coils and pods jets and exausts. Tuned the bike up and was running great for about a couple of tanks of gas. About 3 days leter i ran out of gas iwas trying to pop another wheely as i did earlier and bam she died. looked in tank and was empty. went and filled her up and took her for a ride, ran great and than would bogg down. So i cleaned the carbs, plugs, switched out coils petcock and all tubes and jets. Started up great again and hauled ass. 10 min later she was bogging down again and running on only 2 cylinders 1 and 4.
    Waited a while and started up again and was still only on 2 cylinders two middle ones cold. HELP! whats wrong with Suzy could it be my dyna S

Swap out the coils. If the problem switches to 1&4, you found it. If not, it could possibly be voltage to one coil is lower than the other - may want to check that out first.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2006, 05:18 PM.

Comment

This is an electrical problem. Get that multi-meter and connection cleaner spray out!

And stop doing wheelies! I would NEVER do a wheelie...8-[
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Have you checked the connections on the coil that's not firing? I don't know about the DYNA ignition but the stock coils are supposed to be 3 ohm.

Comment

so any other sugestions that can be wrong.

Comment

I am going to have to go with your coils. You say that you have the 2.2 ohm coils on the bike now. With your bike being a 1979 I am pretty sure you are going to need 5 ohm coils, due to that fact that your bike is points rather than electronic ignition.

I think what is going on is this, the bike runs great for the length of time for it to overheat the coils (not enough ohm's), once that happens they shut down untill they cool off again.

Get some 5 ohm coils and I think it will solve your problem.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have 3 ohm coils on now with my dyna s i have installed what elese could it be. thanks

Comment

Oops, misread that part. Sorry about that. Beyond that, it could be possibly your ignitor overheating or something of that sort. Unfortunatly that is beyond my knowledge. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of that will chime in.

Sorry for not being much help in that area, I havent read up enough on that part to be giving advice.

Comment

thanks anyway. anyone know if it is my igniter possible?

Comment

Could my plugs of gone bad they were new when i ran out of gas. Maybe fouled so bad are unusable. Please HELP!

Comment

Originally posted by odl777
                      I have 3 ohm coils on now with my dyna s i have installed what elese could it be. thanks
                      Did you swap the coils? Did it make a difference?

Comment

Yeah i swapped the coils and it made a difference for about 15 minutes. than it cut out again. Could a loose connection cause this, because i run straight headers and vibrates a lil form this, possible wobbled something loose. Also why would this all happen after running out of gas or just maybe a quincadince. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by odl777
                          Yeah i swapped the coils and it made a difference for about 15 minutes. than it cut out again. Could a loose connection cause this, because i run straight headers and vibrates a lil form this, possible wobbled something loose. Also why would this all happen after running out of gas or just maybe a quincadince. Thanks
                          Swapping the coils was not to fix the problem, but to diagnose it. Did the not-running cylinders change from 1&4 to 2&3?

Comment

I didnt swap the coils like that i just put a set of working ones on it.

Comment

Maybe you are slowly running out of fuel at high rpm. At idle, the fuel delivery catches up and the float bowl fills up and it runs OK. Run the petcock on prime and see if it helps. If not, then something in fuel delivery system from tank to float bowl is possibly plugged. Check/remove filters, clean the tank. Maybe you already did these things. If so, I'm stumped too.

Comment

Working...
                              X