Shocks swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks swap

I am going out to the salvage yard soon to look for 90 GSXR 750 forks for my 81 GS1100. I also need new rear shocks is there any other bikes that I can pull a pair off to swap onto mine?

Adam

you may have it already "any other bike" ;-)

actually I think you can use most any UJM style shocks that have the right length and end configurations...? some one correct me, quick, before the boy wastes all his money!!

Comment

Look for something off of a bike that's about the same weight. You'll need the spring rate and damping to be in the ballpark for your bike.

Comment

Look for aftermarket shocks -- stock shocks were lousy to begin with and surely worn out by now.

Failing that, just try to find the ones that look like a reasonably close match with the least corrosion. Don't pay much for stock shocks -- I think screen door closers are maybe $5 each down at the hardware store...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I put Progressive shocks on my '81 1100E a couple of months ago. I'm extremely impressed with the difference in ride quality. The ride is so much more comfortable due to the velocity sensing damping and progressive springing.

If you go that way, I have a pair of new-in-the-box Progressive standard weight (95/140lb) shock springs for our bike I'd let go cheap. They're black. These are the springs only. The shocks are sold separately. The springs are Progressive part number 03-1367B. Show me the best store price you can find on the 'net, and I'll sell for two-thirds that price. Shipping should be about $8 USD anywhere in the USA or Canada.

I had planned to use these springs on my bike, but I finally decided I had to quit fooling myself about my body weight! I'm up 70 lbs since high school (several decades ago). I went with the heavy rate springs (105/150lb) instead.

Comment

Working...
          X