chain noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain noise

So ive been experiencing some chain noise, today I took the valve cover off to inspect.

About a month ago I put on a new valve cover gasket, because it was leaking. Ever since then ive heard a clanking as the motor is running, it would lessen as the motor got warm. But for the past month it has been getting increasingly worse. I played with the tensioner and did what the book said as soon as I could but that didnt seem to do much. The chain is obviously hitting the valve cover.

my question is, how is this happening and what do i need to do to fix it. The "glide block" (I think thats what its called) is away from the chain, im assuming that is how it should be. When I turned the motor over with a socket it could see the links bunching up on each other, if that makes any sense. This was after I re-did the settings for the tensioner the book called for. I then loosened the locknut and turned the tensioner in more than what the spring had on it and then re-tightened. The "bunching" was reduced a good amount.

So did I fix the problem or could this be something else?

here are my pictures. click for a larger view.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2006, 09:45 PM.

Comment

bump...

does anyone have any clue on this???

sorry for the bump, but there is a big cruise this weekend and I want to get the bike working again for it.

Comment

have you checked out your cam cahin tensioner?

Comment

yes, indeed

I played with the tensioner and did what the book said as soon as I could but that didnt seem to do much.
          This was after I re-did the settings for the tensioner the book called for. I then loosened the locknut and turned the tensioner in more than what the spring had on it and then re-tightened.

Comment

Working...
          X