Funny smell GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny smell GS1000

My newly restored GS1000 is running great! I did some chop tests and got the carbs dialed in good. But I notice a funny smell coming from the bike. I thought at first I was burning oil, but she doesn't smoke. I thought it might also be my new V&H pipe maybe burning in the packing. After going for a ride today and getting back in my garage, it smelled kind of strong. Like fresh oil, not burned (I just put new oil in it). I sniffed around a bit and it seems to be coming from the crankcase breather, which used to hook to the stock airbox, but now has a crankcase breather filter on it.
    Is it normal to smell oil from there? Would routing the hose back under my seat help?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Seems inevitable that during a rebuild some oil is going to get on the fins and cases. When the engine gets hot, the oil burns off slowly - so it smells like hot oil. Happened to me. Took maybe 120 miles to go away.

Comment

Pods

I went to pods and put a K&N crankcase breather filter on . You used to filter the blow-by through your filter box, but now it just rises up into the air and into your nostrils. You'll get used to it. Plus after your rings seal it will be even less.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Like the others say, maybe some more miles on the new motor will help.
        I route my breather hose (with K&N filter) to a "holder cup" I made from a rear shock dust cover. Goes under the seat. Eliminates the mess from discharge out the filter. Just wipe out accumulation now and then but placing a small folded piece of napkin on the bottom is even better. After some long/aggressive riding, I can get quite a bit of discharge out the filter. There is some smell.
        Check out my website if you want to see a pic'.
        Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 04-04-2006, 02:51 AM.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X