Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripped threaded posts! Possible sulution! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped threaded posts! Possible sulution! HELP!

Hello everyone.

Okay, heres my problem. I was changing my oil filter on my GS450L today. I accidently stripped one of the threaded metal posts coming off of the engine that hold the oil filter cover in place. I know that I can replace the post by taking out the old one and putting in another 6mm threaded post.

None of the auto or tool stores in my area ( Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) have a 6mm threaded post. They do however carry 6mm screws. Couldn't I just take out the 3 posts and just use 6mm screws to hold the cover on. I figure if I use the screws with some blue loctite. It will serve the same purpose, and be easier to replace if something happens.

Is this a good idea? Or am I just setting myself up for failure. I really need some advice on this one. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2006, 01:54 AM.

Replace the stud with another stud, you can get them at auto parts stores. If you use bolts, the aluminum of the block will wear away and then you will be in a real mess trying to get a larger hole tapped for a new stud.

Comment

If you have to make your own stud out of a bolt. Thread a ut on the bolt first then cut it off the length you need. Unscrew the nut to clean up the end you cut off. A little filing might be needed to clean it up a bit.

Comment

One word- Fastenal Corp! If a fastener exists, they will have it. I go there at least once a week for work. Just today I had to order 8" long, #10, bugle head, self drilling, self tapping screws. A box of 500 of them was $1250!! Very rare item and they will have them in tomorrow morning.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I also saw them on bikebandit.com.

item 13. now I don't know how much for shipping (prob at least double the cost of the bolt it self). I didn't know the year of your bike... this one in particular is for a 1980.

Comment

Working...
          X