Valve Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckycheese
    Many thanks to JC, Eric and Billy!:-D I've done lots of jobs on my bikes over the years but never a valve adjustment. I'm always a little apprehensive the first time around and think I probably over-analyze before trying a new one.8-[

Any other tips would be much appreciated...thanks, again, guys!:-D
    I can post images from my manual if it will help you. Just don't want the site or me to run into copyright infringement problems. Might be safer legally to email them to you.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese
      Many thanks to JC, Eric and Billy!:-D I've done lots of jobs on my bikes over the years but never a valve adjustment. I'm always a little apprehensive the first time around and think I probably over-analyze before trying a new one.8-[

Any other tips would be much appreciated...thanks, again, guys!:-D (By the way, did any of you notice a difference in the way your bike runs after you made the adjustments????? If so, in what way??)
      No problem.

I didnt really notice much except for less valve clatter when the bike is cold

Comment

Thanks

Well, thanks again to all...I ordered that little tool for $5.39, (which surprised me very much) and I'll report back how it all goes...(and, perhaps, have more questions!!)8-[

We shall see.....but I'm eager to give it a whirl![-o<
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I wonder if mine is shims or threaded adjuster. If it's the threaded setup, I'm no longer dreading adjusting the valves. Shims are a pain in the butt.

Comment

not sure, but my head came off of a 81 750E and it has the non-shim style.

Comment

sad to say, but if your bike is a shaft drive (all G models) then you undoubtedly have shims.

look at it this way, if you don't like shims then it is an excuse to upgrade to a Higher performance Chain Drive model
              Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
              2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

hehe. Next bike will no doubt be chain drive, and weigh about half as much but I sure do like this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing
                  sad to say, but if your bike is a shaft drive (all G models) then you undoubtedly have shims.

look at it this way, if you don't like shims then it is an excuse to upgrade to a Higher performance Chain Drive model
                  So . . . . . . if you like shims, does that mean you can keep your lower maitainance, better take off grip, technically advanced, no gloppy goo, shaft drive? \\/ Sorry, I tried to walk away. I'll be adjusting my shims tomorrow. Hopefully my gas mileage goes back up.

Comment

Working...
                  X