GS550L kick starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L kick starter

I've got a 1980 550L I'm putting a kick starter from a 1979 550 in. I can't tell from any diagrams how to get the starter in. The case already has the mount inside fully machined with mounting bolt holes and all. Problem is the gear on the kicker goes on the back side of the inner mount. I can't see anyway to put it in without pulling the motor and splitting the case. I ask this question because I read a post from 2003 by a guy that did this and said he didn't have to split the case (I think it was an '83 550M). Has anybody with a kick start had to pull it out and been able to do so without splitting the motor?

Also, does anybody know if the non-kick motors still had the gear on the trans that the kicker gear meshes with? I assumed it would still be on there since Suzuki didn't bother to change the cores for the case casting when they went to electric only so why get rid of the gear that was there in the first place. Just wondering.

OK. So I came to the conclusion that I have to pull the motor and take the lower end off to get the kickstarter in. The rotating assembly and trans should stay intact. No problem, right? Got the motor out pretty easily and took all the bolts out of the bottom, top, side covers, etc. I seem to not have any luck splitting the cases of 4-cylinder bike motors. I have a Yamaha 550 that I never could get apart either. Anyway, I have heated it with a propane torch, beat on it with mallets, and pryed on it with everything I can find. For the life of me I can't even get the case to budge and I'm afraid I'm gonna break something. Any bright ideas from you guys that have run into this problem before?

Comment

Haven't had a 550 apart -- look for a bolt(s) inside the oil filter housing. The kick start gear will probably NOT be their
      Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2006, 01:38 AM.

Comment

So, I got the kicker in and it works fine. However, not owning a kick start bike before I think I have a problem. Once the motor starts, the gear drive for the starter makes this awful buzzing noise (almost like grinding the syncros in a car). I'm pretty sure it its the ratcheting mechanism between the shaft and gear. When I put it in gear the sound goes away, but comes back once I start moving. I found that if I apply pressure forward on the top of the lever with my hand when it's sitting or my knee/ankle when I'm moving it goes away. It almost seems like it needs a stiffer return spring, but I was just thinking about a bungee cord. Anybidy have any ideas or advice. Thanks

Comment

First of all, let me congratulate you on accomplishing something that several people in a number of related threads claimed couldn't be done! There have been past posts that claimed Suzuki had somehow "done away with" the space that once existed for a kick starter.

It seemed unlikely to me, and you are the first person I've heard of who has actually gone ahead and completed the retrofit.

Regarding your problem, unfortunately I don't have any expertise in that area, but I wanted to let you know how impressed I was that you pulled it off in the first place! I'm sure you'll manage to work out the glitch, and I suspect others will soon be along to help you do it!

Regards,

Comment

Yes I have to say, this thread ROX!

Comment

Originally posted by karman1970
              So, I got the kicker in and it works fine. However, not owning a kick start bike before I think I have a problem. Once the motor starts, the gear drive for the starter makes this awful buzzing noise (almost like grinding the syncros in a car). I'm pretty sure it its the ratcheting mechanism between the shaft and gear. When I put it in gear the sound goes away, but comes back once I start moving. I found that if I apply pressure forward on the top of the lever with my hand when it's sitting or my knee/ankle when I'm moving it goes away. It almost seems like it needs a stiffer return spring, but I was just thinking about a bungee cord. Anybidy have any ideas or advice. Thanks
              I think you have the right idea thinking of the return spring. The symptoms you describe remind me of a kickstart with a broken or weak return spring. This would cause a buzzing sound until the lever was returned to the fully upright position. Does it still make the sound if the lever is removed? If so, that would seem like proof that something is preventing the disengagement of the kickstart, either a weak or improperly adjusted spring.

It may be that your spring is OK but the kickstart lever isn't adjusted properly. If after removing the kickstart lever the buzzing stops, maybe something about the lever is interfering with the disengagement. Try moving the lever one spline counter-clockwise and see if the buzzing continues or stops.

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments. I tried taking the kick lever off and still had the same symptoms. I tried moving it a spline each direction and still no good. Think I'll drain the motor and pull the side cover off to see if I can't tell what's going on. If I can figure out how the disengaging mechanism works I'm hoping I might be able to shim it a fuzz or adjust the spring (I am a mechanical engineering student, I should be able to figure this out!). Wish I could run it with the side cover off. Might try cranking it over with the electric starter and watching the gears and what not. I'll let you know what happens. Once I get a camera I'll post some pics.

Comment

Working...
                X