Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get an Igniter Unit for my 1980 GS1100E? HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I get an Igniter Unit for my 1980 GS1100E? HELP!!!

Hey Guys!

I'm in need of a new igniter unit for my 1980 GS1100E. I've looked in in the "Old Q&A" section of this website...but couldn't find anything specific to the igniter unit being replaced.

I checked Bikebandit.com and they have a stock igniter unit...for over $380.00!!! Please tell me there are some aftermarket ones that are cheaper...

Thanks for the help!!! Eagerly await your responses..

Rudi
    San Antonio, TX

I think you're the kind of guy who likes new parts but I bet you could find one at most wreckers. You may even be able to buy a parts bike for 380$.

Steve

Comment

Rudi, I have the same problem on my 1980 1100E. I have a spare Dyna S ignition that I am hoping will work out. As I understand it, the Dyna base plates are interchangable between GS models with the only difference being variations of the rotor. You can get a Dyna S for about $170. Maybe someone has already done this and can say for sure. I havent tried to install mine yet.

Earl

Originally posted by Rudi
      Hey guys...

My igniter unit got completely fried...and I am in need of a new one. Can anyone point me to where I can get an affordable aftermarket one? I looked on denniskirk..but didn't find one.

Thanks!
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: Where can I get an Igniter Unit for my 1980 GS1100E? HEL

Originally posted by Rudi
        Hey Guys!

I'm in need of a new igniter unit for my 1980 GS1100E. I've looked in in the "Old Q&A" section of this website...but couldn't find anything specific to the igniter unit being replaced.

I checked Bikebandit.com and they have a stock igniter unit...for over $380.00!!! Please tell me there are some aftermarket ones that are cheaper...

Thanks for the help!!! Eagerly await your responses..

Rudi
        San Antonio, TX
        do you need a new one, or will a "slightly used" one work? (I have one laying around here some place)

Comment

Rudi

Give Bobby Delgado at Southeast Cycle Salvage a call at 210-633-0340. He is located South of San Antonio.
          He will probably have anything you want, and he is not trying to get rich on the deal.
          You will need the old part for the number on the unit. He will have a box full of ignitors, but will have to match up the part, as he doesn't spend a lot of time on inventory.
          Give him a call. I have pretty much rebuilt my 1100 out of his stuff. He is open in the afternoons on weekdays and all day Saturday, so it will be Monday before you can talk to him.

Comment

Thanks!

Leon,

Nah..I don't care if it's new or not. Just that it works is fine with me! :-)

If you have any let me know...I'd DEFINITELY be interested.

Thanks!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Jack,

Thanks for the great info! I think I visited Southeast Cycle Salvage not too long ago when looking for side covers. But I'm going to call them again about a used ignitor unit. Hopefully they'll have one. Appreciate the help!!!

Rudi

Comment

Rudi, what exactly are you talking about when you say "ignitor unit" are you talking about the plate with the magnetic pickups that goes under the ignition cover? Or the little black box that the wires from the pickups go to that's located under the left side cover?
              Doze.

Comment

Well, I know that the official name for it is "ignitor unit". If you were sitting on the bike, it would be bolted onto the right side of the battery casing. It is a black box with two separate plugs coming out of it.

does that explain it? I could send a pic...

Rudi

Comment

That would be the ignitor unit.

Comment

Rudi, I'm not sure if Suzuki used the same ignitor for all their electronic ignitions, but if you have part numbers off your old one I can check it against the one I took off my 1150 when I switched to a Dyna S system. If it will interchange I'd part with mine for $10 plus shipping.
                    Doze.

Comment

Doze

Doze,

I appreciate the offer!!! My part number is: 32900-45110

Let me know....I'll buy that thing off you in a second!!! I'm desperate to get my bike on the road. Eventually, I'd like to get a new ignition system...but for now, a used one sounds golden to me :-)

thx!!!

Rudi

Comment

Well Rudi, I have been unable to locate that spare ignitor box, I dont understand where it crawled off to?? :?
                        I will have a report for you on the search for a gas tank for your bike tomorrow.

Comment

that's ok...

that's ok...I know what it's like to lose parts...

If you happen to find it and still wanna sell it...give me a yell!

:-)

Rudi

Comment

Working...
                          X