Cold weather causing 550 to run rough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold weather causing 550 to run rough?

hello, i just purchased a 1980 GS550L, put about 100 miles on it this weekend (about 50-60 degrees), and rode it to work this morning (about 30 degrees), and when i started out i had a pretty good hesitation for a few seconds and then it'd catch and go, i figured it was just because i didnt let the bike warm up long enough, but it did this throughout the whole 15 mile trip, and did the same thing on the way home, is the cold weather affecting the way it runs?, also my petcock handle is broke, so i dont know if its in prime, run, or off (well it runs so its probably not in off), is there anyway to tell, and would running it in prime cause any problems?

one more question, well maybe 2, when i leave my bike sitting overnight, i come out to a nice gas leak every morning, would the fact that I cant find off on my petcock do that, or do i have a stuck float or something?

Comment

The petcock on this year and model was considered "automatic". Your petcock is not broke, it just wasn't designed with a knob to turn it. you should be able to insert a small screwdriver into the slot on the petcock. Turn it so the slot is aligned horizontally, this is the normal running position.
      The gas leak could be from the petcock. Make sure the slot is aligned horizontally, run the bike, and check the vacuum line for fuel. There should be no fuel in the vacuum line. Also check that the fuel line from the petcock to the center on the carbs is not kinked or excessively arched to the point that fuel is restricted or there is air in the fuel line.
      It is not uncommon to have to replace the diaphragm inside these petcocks. They sell rebuild diaphragm kits on eBay as well as new petcocks. I went ahead and bought a brand new one on eBay for around $30 when this was happening to me. My bike runs great now, and no fuel leaks.
      Make sure to check your oil level, and pull the cap off and smell the oil for traces of gas in the oil. If your petcock was in the vertical position or if you have a bad diaphragm, it would allow fuel to slowly leak through the carbs and down through the engine into your oil. If your oil level rised or you smell gasoline in the oil, make sure to fix the fuel/petcock problem, then change the oil. Replace the oil with cheap automotive 10W40 and ride the bike for 50-100 miles, then when you know there is no gas leak into the engine, replace the oil AND filter again with quality 10W40 motorcycle oil and a quality filter.
      Let me know how it comes along. I, and many other GSRers, have dealt with this very common problem before.

Comment

Sounds like your fuel petcock is stuck in prime, hence the morning fuel puddle. This can also cause the bike to run poorly. Set the petcock to the on position and make sure the vacuum line from the petcock to the motor is not damaged.

Hope this helps,

Andre N. Bouchere

Comment

Working...
        X