Petcock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Question

Alright, quick question, when the petcock is off of prime, and i pull the main line off the tank, should fuel be coming out of the tank?, if not, i think that might be my problem , i have a hesitiation from about 1500-3000 rpms or so, and im thinking im flooding it, also if i put on K&N filters (one for each carb), will ihave to do any jet changes?
    thanks
    justin

When the bike is shut down and you're off prime fuel flow should stop. Check the vacuum line for fuel. Sounds like you may have a bad diaphram in the petcock. You will have to rejet if you go to pods. It helps if people know what model we are talking about.

Comment

sorry abou that , its a 1980 GS550L, i've got aftermarket exhaust on it now, and i believe its correctly jetted for the pipes, because it runs great, except the hesitation, which im thinking is because when the bike is off , fuel poors out of the petcock, willr unning it like this until i get a new petcock hurt the bike at all?

Comment

Originally posted by mycat8urskidoo
        sorry abou that , its a 1980 GS550L, i've got aftermarket exhaust on it now, and i believe its correctly jetted for the pipes, because it runs great, except the hesitation, which im thinking is because when the bike is off , fuel poors out of the petcock, willr unning it like this until i get a new petcock hurt the bike at all?
        If the diaphram is leaking you don't want to ride it that way. You will have fuel running down the vacuum line. This is bad for two reasons. First when riding #2 is going to burn super rich. Second, when the bike is shut down you will have fuel getting into the crankcase. Remove the oil filler cap and see if you smell gas in the crankcase.

Comment

the fuels not running down the vaccum line its running down the main fuel line
          , the vaccum line seems alright, when the bike sits overnight the fuel drips from one of the carbueretors

Comment

I just checked my oil, the level hasnt increased at all, and it doenst smell, checked all 4 plugs and they all look good, nice and tan, so im lost, haha
            thanks

Comment

It sounds as if you have fuel running down the outside of the fuel line.

If so you have a leak that MUST be fixed.

DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE until it is fixed. Fire is a GREAT possibility.

If the fuel is running through the line and overflowing at the carbs ,
              then you need to fix the needles in the carb bowls, because they are there to stocp the overflow, and maintain a constant fuel level in the bowls.

If the fuel keeps on flowing when the bike is not running, then you need to repair or replace the petcock.

None of this is difficult, but there can be a serious safety risk involved if you fail to do the work.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

You can tell if the diaphram is alright by sucking on the vacuum line with it attaqched to the petcock. Suck on it and it should hold vacuum. If the diaphram is leaking you may get a little fuel in your maouth. You could use a large syringe to draw vacuum. As for the stumble it could just need the pilot screws adjusted. Are you sure it is off of prime? The lever should point staight down for run.

Comment

Working...
                X