Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Stator or not?

Multi-part question.

1. I have not been able to get any solid figure on the output of the stock charging system on my 1981 GS 850 G. Have heard some guesses or anecdotal but is there a definitive number?

2. I seriously want to be able to mount a set of dual 55W driving lights for lighting up the backroads & some louder horns for in-town ruckus. It seems the stock system would be sorely taxed. Would the replacement of the stock stator w/ an Electrex unit give me enough extra? I would replace the wires involved with heavier guage as much as possible.

3. If yes, would the Reg/Rec unit need to be replaces as well to acheive max output or do3es this component not come into play if the wattage increases?

Thank you for your input.

DH

A pair of 55 watt lights will tax the standard GS system. It will work, but will be taxed. You could compensate to some extent by switching other lamps to LEDs.

Your best bet on improving light is in two parts

1-If you are using a sealed beam, scrap it.

Replace with a good quality headlamp specifically intended for motorcycles, one whish has the ability to take replacement bulbs.

1-A If you have halogen bulbs, dump them.

2-Replace the halogen with one of the newer Xenon bulbs. My preference is the one with a blue coating, and a Kelvin rating of more than 4800, and less than 6500.

5400 t0 5800K is ideal.

Higher is more blue, and lower is more yellow. In the middle is white.

You will get arguments but all standard halogen, including Sylvania silverstar, are yellow.

A simple reality is that, for most conditions, you will see better with white.

A good lens makes a huge difference in light dispersement on the road. A good xenon bulb, even at a 55 watt rating, will make a substantial difference over halogen.

One word of caution....buy xenons in pairs. The same applies to halogens, but the xenons seem more susceptible to vibration. E-bay has an unlimited supply, all of them sold in pairs. Watch for the wattage output, as well as the K rating.
    Last edited by argonsagas; 04-04-2006, 10:36 PM.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Sorry....I mised part of the reply

If you replace the stator it would be a VERY good idea to replace the R/R as well. Usually, it is the R/R that fails, and takes the stator with it.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
        ...If you have halogen bulbs, dump them.
        This is bad advice. You have a basic misunderstanding and confusion of halogen bulbs and the genuine xenon HID bulbs.

...Replace the halogen with one of the newer Xenon bulbs. My preference is the one with a blue coating, and a Kelvin rating of more than 4800, and less than 6500.

5400 t0 5800K is ideal.

Higher is more blue, and lower is more yellow. In the middle is white.

You will get arguments but all standard halogen, including Sylvania silverstar, are yellow.

A simple reality is that, for most conditions, you will see better with white.

A good lens makes a huge difference in light dispersement on the road. A good xenon bulb, even at a 55 watt rating, will make a substantial difference over halogen....
        The bulbs that your are calling xenon bulbs are in fact halogen bulbs with a blue coating that cuts down on light output. This blue coating is put on to make the light appear whiter (but less bright), and is a knockoff of the appearance of a true xenon (HID) light system. It is not a simple reality that for most conditions you will see better with "white". This is hype. See an expert's opinion at Safe, Legal, Blue...But Are They Any Good?

The casually used term of xenon lighting refers to HID (high intensity discharge) bulbs filled with xenon gas. These bulbs use a high voltage transformer to create an arc discharge. The cheapest conversion kits cost hundreds of dollars and provide only low beam. See High Intensity Discharge Conversion Kits

The true "xenon" HID lights do not consume 55 watts. The HID lights are more efficient. They are very bright while consuming only 35 watts. But the vaunted "daylight color" is not so advantageous. See Disadvantages of HID

One word of caution....buy xenons in pairs. The same applies to halogens, but the xenons seem more susceptible to vibration. E-bay has an unlimited supply, all of them sold in pairs. Watch for the wattage output, as well as the K rating.
        Again, these are not xenon bulbs, they are blue-coated halogen. eBay is a haven for the hype and poor real world performance of the blue-coated halogen bulbs. The focus on color temperature is marketing hype. This subject has been beat to death on these forums already.

suzukizone, you don't need dual driving lights for on-road riding. The Philips Vision Plus 50 H4 Headlight Bulb or the Osram Silver Star H4 Single Bulb will provide you with all of the light you can legally use at at a reasonable price. These bulbs have been rigorously tested under controlled conditions and deliver performance superior to most other halogen bulbs (especially the "xenon-white" knockoffs).

Comment

If you really want to flood the road in front of you with light find an 8" GS headlight. They put out just about the best light you will find.

Comment

Working...
          X