Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High revs

Hello everyone,

First off, let me thank everyone here for a GREAT forum. What a wealth of information!

Now, on to the fun stuff - I have a 1980 gs450L that runs very well except for one issue. When the bike is cold (and sometimes at operating temp), I will close the choke a bit, then go ahead and give it throttle, then let off. The engine will continue to rev for a short period, then return to what would be a bit above idle speed. I'll then open the choke a bit, and repeat. It seems almost like the throttle is "stuck" for a little bit (I add the quotes because I really don't think it's a problem with the throttle, it just seems that's the best way to describe it). This process will continue until the bike is up to operating temp and the choke is just about all the way open, and even then the throttle will seem to "stick" a little (but not nearly as drastic as when cold). The thing is, the throttle cable is fine and I don't notice any of the mechanical parts sticking or anything. I haven't looked too deeply into the problem, as it didn't really affect the driveability of the bike last summer (when I bought it), but now it's annoying and I'd like to figure this thing out. I used to be an auto mechanic, but this is my first time dealing with bikes, so I'd love a little input.

BTW - the bike is in neutral for all this - when I put it in gear and go while the engine is still a bit cold, the revs will drop to where they should be, but when I engage the clutch, they will go back up for a bit, then come down.

Any takers?

Most likely cause is leaking intake boots, and dependant upon model the o-rings under the boots against thew cylinder head.
    Another "out there" suggestion, my wifes 250 refused to idle well, replacing the rectifier/regulator, and cleaning connections finally sorted it out.
    Dink

Comment

Got to go with Dink, check yr o-rings.
      My -81 GS450 experiences the same problems, but I have now ruled out the boot o-rings, and are cleaning connectors vigorously by night. These babies are notoriously touchy for voltage drops.

Comment

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be a slight hangup in the
        way one of the carb sliders were closing. In my case it would happen
        when I was in gear, with throttle open, I would pull in the clutch and
        let go the throttle. The engine would not rev down but seemed to
        sustain the revs (or even rev a little higher).
        Last edited by DimitriT; 04-05-2006, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X