Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed

I am replacing the head on my bike, it has about 20k on it. should I do any other engine work while i have it down. I was thinking of new rings but not sure (gotta replace the base gasket so the cylinder will be off. Im not looking for anything radical, just somethings to save me work later on.

Thanks

Eric

82 gs 750

Check the ring end gaps to see if they are in spec. You have to remove them from the piston and install them in the cylinder by themselves to check the gap. If they are okay get the rings back on the same piston they came off of and turn the gaps in the same position they came off. Clean up the piston grooves and tops while you're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
      Check the ring end gaps to see if they are in spec. You have to remove them from the piston and install them in the cylinder by themselves to check the gap. If they are okay get the rings back on the same piston they came off of and turn the gaps in the same position they came off. Clean up the piston grooves and tops while you're at it.
      say, they are out of spec. Would i have to have any machine work done before installing new rings? Or just hone(sp) the cylinders.

Comment

You'll have to take measurements to know when you get into it. Check the cylinder measurements and make sure the bores are still straight. If you don't have a manual I can send you pages out of mine that will guide you through what and how to measure.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have a manual, ill dig into it later. I just thought of this while I was at work and wanted to see what some of you thought.

eric

Comment

Working...
          X