Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CX500 R/R wiring - all past links are defunct!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CX500 R/R wiring - all past links are defunct!

I first have to say that I did indeed do an extensive search on this, but the links to past posts explaining this are all defunct.

Anyhow, my question is how to correctly wire a CX500 R/R on my bike. I have a 1983 GS750E, uses a block connector on the R/R that has 3 yellow input wires from the stator and a red and black going out.

I think the CX500 R/R on e-bay I'm looking at has 3 stator wires coming in, and 2 green wires and 2 red wires coming out.

First I guess I should ask if this will indeed work on my bike, and second how should I wire it up?

Thanks,

Chad

This thread is from the archives.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p/t-65159.html

Comment

Originally posted by crc1214
      I first have to say that I did indeed do an extensive search on this, but the links to past posts explaining this are all defunct....
      Strange. I did a search for CX500 R/R and got 56 hits at http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...searchid=22603

Comment

Now this is strange..... I clicked on your link Boondocks and the posts came up. I also did this on my own and the same posts came up - what I was referring to in my preface of my first post is the posts referenced in those posts would not come up (have I confused you yet?). It's like this..... I would get to the juicy part of the post, where somebody would chime in with something like "for wiring tips click on this past post"...... I'd click on it and nothing would come up.

Now to the really wierd part..... I clicked on your link when I wasn't logged in. It came up fine. I log in and nothing comes up now when I click on it. WTF???

Comment

How about an answer, instead of a link

Honda R/R Suzuki

Red goes to Red

Green goes to ground/battery

Black goes to any live circuit on the Suz., preferably one which is controlled by the ignition switch. I use the taillight circuit.

After those three wires are taken care of, the three remaining wires connect to the Suzuki stator output wires, which are usually yellow, but could be blue/white. The order of connection does not matter.

Regardless of which R/R you use, you should run an extra wire between the back of the R/R and the battery, to ensure a good ground.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'm not quite sure about the type with two green wires (grounds) and two red wires (12vdc+) and three yellow (stator) wires.

The popular Honda CX500-sourced SH232 has three yellow wires, one green wire (ground), one red wire (12vdc+ output), and one thin brown (rarely possibly black) wire (sense wire to be connected to a 12vdc+ from the wiring harness, like the positive wire to the rear brake light switch). There are single- and double-connector versions of the SH232.

If you use a small pointy thing, you can slide the spades out of the plastic connectors on the replacement. Mark where the wires are on the Suzuki connector, remove the connector, put the corresponding wires (you may have to change from female spade connectors to male, etc) from the replacement into the same places. The Suzuki connector only has four positions, so two of the wires have to be hooked up elsewhere.

The sense wire can be connected to the brake light wire by making a "Y" connector with one male bullet connector and two female ones leading to it, just plug it inline so the brake light will still work, and plug the thin brown wire from the r/r into the other female connector.

The r/r I'm using right now is a Yamaha part also made by Shindengen (an SH233 instead of the Honda SH232), that has an added thick black wire, which is an extra 12vdc+ output. I capped this wire and am not using it.

An example on eBay right now:

Comment

Now this is strange..... I clicked on your link Boondocks and the posts came up. I also did this on my own and the same posts came up - what I was referring to in my preface of my first post is the posts referenced in those posts would not come up (have I confused you yet?). It's like this..... I would get to the juicy part of the post, where somebody would chime in with something like "for wiring tips click on this past post"...... I'd click on it and nothing would come up.

Now to the really wierd part..... I clicked on your link when I wasn't logged in. It came up fine. I log in and nothing comes up now when I click on it. WTF???
              The link no longer works. It seems like the "searchid number" changes, and the address of a search is not a constant value for a link. In any event, just doing a search for CX500 brought up 72 hits.

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                How about an answer, instead of a link

Honda R/R Suzuki

Red goes to Red

Green goes to ground/battery

Black goes to any live circuit on the Suz., preferably one which is controlled by the ignition switch. I use the taillight circuit.

After those three wires are taken care of, the three remaining wires connect to the Suzuki stator output wires, which are usually yellow, but could be blue/white. The order of connection does not matter.

Regardless of which R/R you use, you should run an extra wire between the back of the R/R and the battery, to ensure a good ground.
                I agree with your advice, with this qualification. The black wire should always go to a circuit which is hot only when the ignition is on, such as the tail light circuit.

Comment

Pop quiz hot shot. Always cut the blue wire... no wait... the red one... no wait... shoot the hostage.

Comment

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

It looks like there's a "capped off" black/white wire that's in-line with the tail lite wire that I could connect the black wire of the CX500 unit on. I'm guessing it's for wiring up aftermarket stuff anyhow. I dunno if I feel like running a wire all the way up to where it is though (around the headlight bucket). We'll see. I may just indeed use a "Y" connection and tie it in to the loop a little closer to where the R/R will reside.

Comment

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

It looks like there's a "capped off" black/white wire that's in-line with the tail lite wire that I could connect the black wire of the CX500 unit on. I'm guessing it's for wiring up aftermarket stuff anyhow. I dunno if I feel like running a wire all the way up to where it is though (around the headlight bucket). We'll see. I may just indeed use a "Y" connection and tie it in to the loop a little closer to where the R/R will reside.
                      A pleasure to help!

I thought about connecting the sense wire to another point, but it's so easy to crimp on bullet connectors and very easy to plug in right by the battery. I built the Y-cable out of yellow wire clipped off the old dead r/r, it happened to be just the length i needed...

Comment

Working...
                      X